Broken Carboy!!! Beware! (Also posted this on another sit)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jguy898

Reaction score
I posted this up on Gotmead.com for all to see there, but I'm going to copy and paste it here, so that others may see.

Copied; Gotmead.com. I AM the original creator of this posting.
Jonas

"I was going to post this in the 'equipment' section, but this sub-forum gets more traffic and I want people to be aware of the dangers of glass carboys.

I picked up 6 more 5 gallon glass carboys from an old wine maker for $15 each but had no place to put them. I decided that I would Clear out the side of my bedroom closet that I only use to store articles of clothing that are waiting to go out for donation. I started totally tearing my room apart and decided that I could easily use half of my bedroom (yes, I'm currently single) for Mead Making. So by now half my room is torn apart and on top of my bed is some more stuff that needs to be consolidated, so I slept on my couch in the living room. Next to where my new carboys are standing on the ground...

I'm sleeping like a dang baby, when I start having a really bad dream. There is some family crap going on and it has become personal so I'm pretty stressed out and my dreams are getting more and more stressing, as well. In this dream a family member begins attacking me and I have to defend my self, he grabs my shoulders and the only thing left to do is Kick him in the nuts like a freakin' banshee. Guess what?, it was no longer just a dream, I woke up with my foot half-way through the incredibly powerful drop kick and screeching straight down on to one of my new carboys.
My heel makes contact with the shoulder of the vessel, just below the neck, and a very large section of the carboy Explodes sending glass flying EVERYWHERE, and I'm not talking little shards like you get when you drop a dish, these shards are little razors, and they will slice every single finger you attempt to use during the process of cleaning the mess.

Thankfully my heel is fine, not even a bruise, but this could've been Much worse.

Be careful where and how you place your carboys, people! They can be very dangerous if mishandled."

BrokenCarboy.jpg

Back