Possible Rhizome Damage =(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

foonder

Reaction score
I'm new to this forum, as well as hop growing, and I recently obtained my first rhizomes to start growing. I've been homebrewing for 2 years so why not, right?

I misinterpreted some of what I read online before I potted my rhizomes, and planted them with 2 inches of the rhizome sticking out of the soil, rather than the rhizome being under 2 inches of soil. They stayed like this in (moist / watered) soil for a little less than 24 hours. Once I realized my mistake, I rushed to re-plant them as carefully as I could, and apart from the top of the rhizomes being a little dryer than the bottom, they all looked fine for the most part. This was Monday, it's currently Wednesday night. Do you guys think I caused any damage?
Also, when do you typically see the chutes start to sprout up, about a week after planting? I'm keeping my pots inside unless it's warm out for about a month, or until they sprout foot long chutes.

What do you think about the potential damage, am I just worrying too much?

EDIT: This is one of the rhizomes how it was originally planted
centennial2closeed5.jpg

It was a hell of a long (6" probably) Centennial rhizome. I ended up basically just covering it with soil since it didn't fit horizontally in my pot, but I did turn it upside down since there were more chutes on the other end.

Don't stress it, they will be fine. As far as when the shoots come out depends on your weather and temperature. I have had mine outside for weeks. It has snowed rained and had zero sun for a few days and they are still going. My personal opinion is that if the soil is soft enough to plant then do it.

Sticking out of the soil a little bit for 24 hours isn't going to hurt them at all, you're fine.

they were probably in the bag and shipping container longer than that.... if that didn't kill them, some air won't.

niquejim said:
If you can't put them in the ground you're going to need a much bigger pot. Hops will get potbound in a large 18" pot within a year or so.

I can put them in the ground now, it's just about warm enough here, I just figured it would be good to let them grow a little before planting them in the ground. I also haven't finished my hop growing trellis area thing contraption yet (I will post a picture of that beast when it's done). As per the advice of you veterans, as soon as I finish building my hop growing..."thing"...I will plant them. thanks again for your advice guys.

They've started to sprout! I can't believe how happy I am over tiny little buds.
hopaliveoa1.jpg

That looks a lot different from my sprouts. Mine look like little red asparagus

david_42 said:
That looks a lot different from my sprouts. Mine look like little red asparagus
I noticed other people's had red chutes (shoots?) growing. These are so tiny, but I'm still working myself up into a frenzy. Interesting though, I planted 2 Chinooks and 2 Centennials, and one of each sprouted up. Chinook has 2 tiny, tiny sprouts, and the picture is of the Centennial. Their brothers (sisters?) have yet to sprout anything.

I don't know a whole lot about growing stuff, but that looks like something growing from a seed, rather than a shoot off a rhizome.

Chris

ChrisS68 said:
I don't know a whole lot about growing stuff, but that looks like something growing from a seed, rather than a shoot off a rhizome.

Chris
Possible. I hope I didn't buy crappy potting soil full of "Seeds to grow other stuff you don't want!" Damn Miracle Grow soil.

EDIT: It was just some miscellaneous stupid sprout. @)*(U@#()( >=(

I suppose it is a bit early to be expecting shoots. It's only been 4 days or so since they were planting. By a week I wouldn't be surprised. After 2 weeks I'll get worried if it doesn't sprout SOMETHING up. I worry too much (am a noob)

my jumbo cascade came with some buds-they are like little asparagus-like noted above-I think you have a rogue seed spouting there

I think with your rhyzome 2 in down you can generally expect 14 days or so for the shoots to appear. You will know them when you see them.
-ander

OH GOOD! You have stopped stressing right? Because I don't want to add insult to injury. I am still a growing noob myself....

BUT THAT FIRST PIC WAS FRIGGING HILARIOUS!!!!!! It was just begging for the word FAIL to be posted on it!

I am sorry brother! If you can't laugh, what good is it? ;)

Cheers!
FAIL.jpg

I like how you didn't bother to use the Text function in MSPaint, and drew the letters in manually.

ChrisS68 said:

Chris

+1 on being from a seed. My shoots look nothing like that.

Never mind I didn't see page 2! :tank:

cheezydemon said:
OH GOOD! You have stopped stressing right? Because I don't want to add insult to injury. I am still a growing noob myself....

BUT THAT FIRST PIC WAS FRIGGING HILARIOUS!!!!!! It was just begging for the word FAIL to be posted on it!

I am sorry brother! If you can't laugh, what good is it? ;)

Cheers!
FAIL.jpg

It's not that Fail. It's started to actually grow shoots now (real ones, not just stray seed root stuff). But hey, we all try to be asses sometimes I guess.

The rhizomes have started growing actual chutes. I will post pictures soon.

Here are some shoots coming up now. So I didn't kill them. So Ha Ha.
chinook2shoots4uw8.jpg

Here's another root from a different rhizome. Both are from Chinook roots.
chinook1shootsl4.jpg

It's all in good fun. If they didn't like you they wouldn't bother
EDIT: How big are those pots?

AGBrewer said:
It's all in good fun. If they didn't like you they wouldn't bother
EDIT: How big are those pots?
Like me? I've been here for like.....8 posts. Re: your edit, they're not big enough. I'm planning on planting them in one week, I wanted to let them start growing so they wouldn't be so fragile when they were in the ground.

One of my Centennial rhizomes has been in the ground for about 3 weeks, and it hasn't shown any signs of growth. I might've disturbed it a little looking for chutes in the soil, and I replanted it (still in a pot) to make sure it had good soil around it. Anyone think this might still show signs of life?

Was there any growth showing on the rhizome?

I gotta say, your being awfully gentle with these things. Mine grow like freaking weeds. Each spring, I whack off a chunk of the oldest plants with my garden spade and throw them in a hole. Then I fight the darned things off with a flame thrower long about August 15. I keep at least 10 feet away come late August cause they may reach out and suck me in.
I resist the urge to roll around in the pile of hops come harvest time. :)

CEMaine said:
Was there any growth showing on the rhizome?

I gotta say, your being awfully gentle with these things. Mine grow like freaking weeds. Each spring, I whack off a chunk of the oldest plants with my garden spade and throw them in a hole. Then I fight the darned things off with a flame thrower long about August 15. I keep at least 10 feet away come late August cause they may reach out and suck me in.
I resist the urge to roll around in the pile of hops come harvest time. :)
I thought there might've been the beginning of a chute growing, but it could've been a root. Or nothing at all. So if I haven't noticed growth in a potted rhizome kept in ideal temperatures for 3 weeks, I've probably got a dead one because rhizomes are badass plants? Is that what I'm hearing / reading

foonder said:
I thought there might've been the beginning of a chute growing, but it could've been a root. Or nothing at all. So if I haven't noticed growth in a potted rhizome kept in ideal temperatures for 3 weeks, I've probably got a dead one because rhizomes are badass plants? Is that what I'm hearing / reading

Kinda sorta but not totally.

Pull the questionable rhizome. Does it have any growth nodes showing? Is it plump?
If the answer to these is yes, stick 'er back in. If it is no, too bad. But, do not give up and do not fret too much. They can start slow in pots.
That being said, they are not a fragile object. They are tough gnarly things that can take some punishment.

Where are you located? What are 'ideal temperatures'?

CEMaine said:
Kinda sorta but not totally.

Pull the questionable rhizome. Does it have any growth nodes showing? Is it plump?
If the answer to these is yes, stick 'er back in. If it is no, too bad. But, do not give up and do not fret too much. They can start slow in pots.
That being said, they are not a fragile object. They are tough gnarly things that can take some punishment.

Where are you located? What are 'ideal temperatures'?

I will take out the rhizome and examine it later today, but I think it will not have any signs of growth.

I live in Danbury, CT (zip 06811). I planted the rhizomes in pots on March 30th I think, and 3 of the 4 original pots I had have grown chutes. Out of 2 chinook and 2 centennial, 2 chinook grew (1 was eaten), one centennial sprouted a little bit later (growth started about a week after the others), and the one in question is the 2nd centennial. I've been keeping the pots inside at night, and outside during daylight. The weather has gone from the mid 50's - mid 70's outside, and inside it's probably just below 70. I water them almost every day, twice on a day when it was 80 out, and only about 1/4 cup water each watering. I will post again, or edit this post, when I have examined the rhizome more closely (probably with a pic).

It appears to have Some life, although I did not take the rhizome completely out of the ground (as to not disturb it and continue thinking like it's a fragile plant). You can see the very beginning of a chute, which was the only growth I could find on the rhizome (again, without totally excavating it, but you can see it clearly in the picture)
centennial1rhizome2dy0.jpg

Maybe agitating it kind of bumped it along and now it's starting to grow. Still, very slowly given the conditions and the others. Will post more pictures of the others later.

If that little shoot was in my neck of the woods and exposed like that, it would be dead before the days end.
I don't know about you, but I'd be covering that bad boy up so you don't burn off that tender little shoot.

Smogre said:
If that little shoot was in my neck of the woods and exposed like that, it would be dead before the days end.
I don't know about you, but I'd be covering that bad boy up so you don't burn off that tender little shoot.
It was / is covered. I was looking at the rhizome (which you can also see in the picture) to see if there was growth. That little bud is about 1" below the soil

foonder said:
I live in Danbury, CT (zip 06811). I planted the rhizomes in pots on March 30th I think, and 3 of the 4 original pots I had have grown chutes.
Plant those puppies in the ground my man!! Your way plenty warm enough. If anything the 70's and 80's around black pots in the sun can be more of an issue than the cold.
BTW... That is "shoots"

I gardened professionally for 15 years. The strength and tenacity of most plants never failed to amaze me. It still amazes me.

CEMaine said:
Plant those puppies in the ground my man!! Your way plenty warm enough. If anything the 70's and 80's around black pots in the sun can be more of an issue than the cold.
BTW... That is "shoots"

I gardened professionally for 15 years. The strength and tenacity of most plants never failed to amaze me. It still amazes me.
I thought it was 'shoots', but chutes seems to make more sense. Also, according to various sources (including my LHBS), moles and other tiny underground critters like eating the roots before they start to grow, but once they Do start to grow, said animals leave them alone. As per your advice, I will wait shorter than earlier anticipated, and plant the rhizomes as soon as I see a shoot / chute break ground. Thanks for your advice :mug:

You aren't the first to blunder in this way. I am surprised at how many new growers have gotten confused by the instructions. What's worse is there is even a LHBS providee grow sheet that advocates this very "method" of planting.

GilaMinumBeer said:
You aren't the first to blunder in this way. I am surprised at how many new growers have gotten confused by the instructions. What's worse is there is even a LHBS providee grow sheet that advocates this very "method" of planting.

I'm not sure if you're referring to the first dilemma where I planted them half in the ground or not, but yeah. I should've just read more carefully. I just didn't want to make another thread about my rhizome(s) possibly not working. Thankfully I didn't cause any damage with my blunderous initial plantings, and my original set of rhizomes all are alive. Too bad one of them was massacred by some f**king animal. Now I've got to wait for yet ANOTHER rhizome to start growing and break ground. Hmph.

Latest posts

Back