Need some pointers on a very pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poindexter

Reaction score
This was my first seat of the pants brew (#4 in the log) a couple years ago.

I was (and am) shooting for something home-made for the BMC light crowd that isn't swill. My mom likedit, I am mostly thinking about upping the hops a tiny little bit.

Grains:
2# pilsner
2# light Munich
2# Vienna

overnight acid rest at 95°F

Simplified mashing schedule (I went over the top the first time)

1.25c crushed rice in 1 quart H2O simmered to starch conversion
2.5c instant (toasted and wafted) oats, simmered in 2qt H2O to starch conversion

Adjuncts to mash tun, add heat to 122°F for 20 minutes.

Entire tun at 145 for 30 minutes
Entire tun at 155 for 30 minutes

I wanna keep the protein rest under 30 minutes since I am using oats, the carbohydrate rest is negotiable. Remember this something for the all female Coors Light Volleyball team to enjoy.

Hops was
2 HBU Fuggles (60)
2 HBU Fuggles (flameout, ten minute steep)

Notti yellow, no temp control back then.

I came in with 4.5 gallons at 1.040 back then (!?!), but I don't see any *ME in my notes.

I remember I had a very light yellow non-threatening looking beer. The mouth feel from the oat was a pleasant suprise. Head retention was OK, the above schedule reflects a shortened protein rest.

I got nothing in my notes about the hops in the finished product; curious if I ought to bump them up or down a little, wonder where it hits on those pretty graphs some of you guys can copy/ paste.

Thanks, I would like to brew this Monday afternoon, though it will be autumn here before the bottles are conditioned.

I downloaded my own ProMash demo. At 80% brewhouse this comes in at 1.040 SG, 11.x IBu and 4.6 SRM color, meets guidelines for North American Light Lager. Snark.

I am using Saaz this time. 5g iof 1.040SG = 80% brewhouse.

Latest posts

Back