The Dysfunctional-Palooza Obnoxious Masshole BS Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No... there is a small brewery in the area that made a high abv braggot that was aged in , what ended up being, HORRIBLE barrels. They ended up throwing off zero of the flavors they were supposed to... and the braggot was disposed of.... from what I heard.

Last edited:
I once had to chuck 150 gallons of fortified hard cider I ruined by using my old whisky barrels one too many times. Sulfite strips did not cut it sanitation wise. Was technically drinkable, but not worth it.

Best batch was from 2 years earlier when barrels were fresh from distillery, of course. Never will make that mistake again.

Another spring lager just mashed in under rain tent, figuring hop bill now.

Prolly splain why they can't run the bases...

But hey, I just got 1st 6 seasons of Archer on dvd for less than 50 bucks delivered...so yeah,..... anyway.....long week so far, work wise, what day is it?

It must totally suck to be an Orioles fan. Watching the game tonite I've seen bigger crowds at a high school game. And it's the first freakin' week of May!
Sad...

Everyone loves a Marchand

I LOVED those down in Mexico. Sometimes they put a few shrimp around the rim of the glass and you got to slide the shrimp along and swipe up the spices before you took a big gulp of the cervasa to wash it down. So good.

Damn. Now I’m hungry AND thirsty.

FB971CD3-636B-42F4-8C29-D6F4BEF596DE.jpeg

Some of the early shooting Phyllostachys bamboos are beginning send up shoots, later than usual, but that is due to soil temp.

Ticks pretty bad this spring, never did get cold enough.

But now cold, dank and slogging in the mud, work wise, a little better than hot, sticky and harassed by biting flys and such.

Ticks pretty bad this spring, never did get cold enough.

I noticed the classic tell-tale Lyme disease bullseye on my side yesterday. Colleague confirmed my self diagnosis. Doxycycline 100 mg PO BID x 21 days. Yuck. I hate that stuff, I’m going to have an upset stomach for three weeks.

Had it twice in last 5 years, occupational hazard I guess, plus my yard is a deer pathway. Found a deer tick on me last night after dumping the compost. Yup, this place is effing paradise.

If I recall, they usually give me amoxacycline, which I guess is related. Supposed to stay out of the sun with that, which would not be so hard right now, haha.

Pulled one off yesterday... didn’t look like a deer tick at all and no bullseye. Dodged a bullet. The even worse part is going to be the mosquitos. This much of a wet spring... two days into some sunny weather and the swarms are comin’.

They say we recently got those new longhorn ticks from down south here. High speed, sighted and aggressive. The part that bothers me is they can transmit a disease that makes you allergic to eating meat..I blame summer people with all their precious rescue dogs...

For those who don't know, this
IMG_E0062[1].JPG
is what the bulls-eye rash looks like. This is not a terribly big example, I caught it early.

"For early localized or disseminated infection, the treatment of choice is oral doxycycline, 100 mg twice daily for 14-21 days. Second line treatment is amoxicillin, especially in children younger than 8 years and pregnant woman, for whom doxycycline is contraindicated. Third and fourth-line treatment is cefuroxime and erythromycin, respectively."

Not saying your provider is wrong, just regurgitating stuff.

Attachments

• IMG_E0062[1].JPG
    IMG_E0062[1].JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 29
Not saying your provider is wrong, just regurgitating stuff.

I don't know either way, but I know I've taken doxy before too. I think they run the other one for 10 days, not 14-21. A horse pill sized dose though. This island is/was one of the early epicenters of lyme and other tick born stuff(I think there are 3 or 4 diseases they test for now), might be the maritime climate, or all the visitors or both, so most of the local docs pretty well versed in the stuff.

Yup, you caught that one early.

I know an arborist who missed the initial symptoms, and over time, developed all sorts of problems, including dementia. They finally figured it was lyme and put him on iv antibiotics for a long period. He is mostly better now and can work again, but his life nearly fell apart, not an old guy either. My uncle died of the first east coast case of rocky mountain spotted he got here, back in the 70's, was misdiagnosed due to inexperience. His dog got sick too, but vet gave him antibiotics so it got better.

So yeah, this place is paradise, for ticks.

Ticks are ****ing insane. I spend a lot of time up in the woods, covered in Deet and I still take a shower and check myself over as soon as I get home. Had anaplasmosis a couple years ago, knocked me out for a good 3-4 weeks. My mother almost died of Lyme a few years back - she's stubborn as a damn mule and wouldn't go to the ER (she thought she was just having a reaction to the flu vaccine, when I got to their house she was nearly out of her mind with fever). A few years on, she still has effects from it. Doxy sucks, Deet sucks, but they're so much better than those ****ing little buggers.

Ticks don’t like me or my children, but love my wife. I haven’t had one latch on since I was a kid. They seem to get into my clothes and stay there.
If my wife gets one on her they seem to bite almost immediately.
Not sure if there is something to that. Maybe they shy away from alcohol in the bloodstream.

Back