Grapefruit wheat recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

defdans

Reaction score
For my next batch I am going to make a wheat beer for my wife and she requested something similar to schoffenhofers grapefruit wheat. Looks like that's actually a low abv, almost shandy-like beer, so at this point she's ok with just a wheat beer brewed with some grapefruit. Anyone make anything like this before? Any recipes or suggestions?

Thanks!

Nothing? Did I post to the wrong board or are there just no recipes for Grapefruit beer?

Some people have adapted this recipe to use Simply Grapefruit juice instead of Simply Limeade. I haven't tried the grapefruit version so I can't attest to it's quality, or if it's similar to the beer you listed, but it sounded good. I just bottled the lime version a few days ago, and the sample I took was awesome.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/lemon-lime-hefe-weizen-255659/

Good Luck!

Some people have adapted this recipe to use Simply Grapefruit juice instead of Simply Limeade. I haven't tried the grapefruit version so I can't attest to it's quality, or if it's similar to the beer you listed, but it sounded good. I just bottled the lime version a few days ago, and the sample I took was awesome.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/lemon-lime-hefe-weizen-255659/

Good Luck!

Awesome, thanks. I remember reading through some of that thread, but wasn't looking a lemon-lime. I do see the grapefruit suggestion in there and will give that shot.

Thanks!

I did a wheat with Orange/Lemon and Corriander. I made an extract out of rind from the fruit and the corriander seeds + vodka. Left it in a jar for two weeks to take on all the flavour then passed it through a strainer and dumped the extract into secondary. It was outstanding and we had people begging for bottles to take home. It may be a option for you... just add the grapefruit rind. Not the peel, just the rind. That's where all the flavour is anyways.

I did a wheat with Orange/Lemon and Corriander. I made an extract out of rind from the fruit and the corriander seeds + vodka. Left it in a jar for two weeks to take on all the flavour then passed it through a strainer and dumped the extract into secondary. It was outstanding and we had people begging for bottles to take home. It may be a option for you... just add the grapefruit rind. Not the peel, just the rind. That's where all the flavour is anyways.

Thanks, that sounds good too. How much did you use? 5 gallon batch? Could i add it to the primary and let it sit an extra week? I'm not fond of cleaning carboys, so if i can avoid moving to a secondary, that's my preference.

I used two oranges and two lemons. + a tablespoon of corriander... I know, doesn't help you. But, you could probably use the zest from three grapefruits, and three or four ounces of Vodka (make sure the zest is covered) then drop it into your primary (you aren't going to do secondary) after primary fermentation is over.

Back