I could use some help with a % alcohol question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kc_in_wv

Reaction score
I started a tart cherry wine a while back. I put enough sugar in it to bring the sg to 1.095. The batch is 3 1/2 gallon. I would stir it twice a day.

When the SG hit 1.03 I was stiring it and I licked the spoon when I was done. The wine was very good. I wanted to stop the ferment but decided at 8% the alcohol wasn't high enough to preserve it. I decided to add 2 pounds of sugar and let the wine ferment more.

If I stopped the wine with a sg at about 1.02 what would the alcohol level be?

Was intrigued by the title of the post didn't realize you were talking about wine until done reading ... If it is figured the same as beer it would be 9.84%

I started a tart cherry wine a while back. I put enough sugar in it to bring the sg to 1.095. The batch is 3 1/2 gallon. I would stir it twice a day.

When the SG hit 1.03 I was stiring it and I licked the spoon when I was done. The wine was very good. I wanted to stop the ferment but decided at 8% the alcohol wasn't high enough to preserve it. I decided to add 2 pounds of sugar and let the wine ferment more.

If I stopped the wine with a sg at about 1.02 what would the alcohol level be?

Well, let's see. You had 1.095, and it went to 1.030. Adding 2 pounds of sugar to a 3.5 gallon batch would give you an additional 26 points. So, it'd be like starting at 1.121. If you could manage to stop it at 1.020, it would be 13.6%. But depending on the yeast strain, it may or may not stop when you want it to. Some strains will go to 14%, but some will go to 18% or more.

Back