Champagne cap-able brands?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zymurgrafi

Reaction score
I have read many places that champagne bottles are (were?) cap-able with standard beer caps. I have yet to find a champagne brand that is. All of the ones I have gotten have either much larger crowns or none at all and nothing for the cap to crimp on.

I have searched the forum, but I can not find any recomendations.

Can anyone tell me specific brand names of champagne that come in cap-able bottles?

Inexpensive ones at that, I'd rather pay big $ for beer. :D

In my previous brewing life (~10 years ago), I bottled a lot in champagne bottles from Chandon (my then girlfriends elixer of choice).

As someone here was kind enough to remind me, you have to swing the grabber plates on the standard red butterfly capper around to cap on these. They'll make a wider opening for grabbing.

Moon

I use the Martinelli's sparkling apple cider bottles and they cap fine with my wing capper for beer and apfelads;fkjha;sdfna;sfnwein. I think that is the spelling we are going with these days.

I have used many different bottles from sparkling juices. Everyone that I have bought I have been able to cap. Good luck

Kayos said:
...and apfelads;fkjha;sdfna;sfnwein. I think that is the spelling we are going with these days.

actually that is what I was thinking I would use them for. :mug:

As for the capper. Yes i know about turning the jaws around. I just have not found any champipple bottles that accept a cap period.

every champagne bottle that undergoes the methode champenoise can be capped. The bottles are capped when champagne under goes bottle conditioning and riddling.

Its only after they disgorge the frozen plug of yeast that they cork and cage the bottles.

champagne bottles are either 26mm or 29mm, http://www.midwestsupplies.com sells the both sizes of caps and adapters for the cappers to use the 29mm caps.

Dave

korbel can be capped. 26 mm cap, but you have to change the bottom plates around to 29 mm on the red capper as previously described.

Back