Leaving Immersion Chiller in wort

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bandit

Reaction score
I have been placing my Immersion Chiller (Copper Coil) in the kettle during the last 15 minutes of the boil. Is there any issues with leaving it in the entire boil? I have a hop hanger bag that I have to remove to get the IC in the kettle and then put back again. Sure would be handy to put the IC in and leave it in.

Thanks,
Mark.

If your chiller is like mine, then the only problem I can think of is the heat on the hose.

My I.C. is connected to a rubber hose that gets pretty hot over that last :15 mins. I keep it well clear of the flame and the side of the kettle but, the copper itself conducts a of heat to the hose where they connect.

It gets in the way, is cumbersome etc ... but given that old-fashioned brew kettles were made of copper there is no 'issue' with keeping the copper coil in the boil, if that's your question.

Just be aware that if you have a sight glass that you calibrated w/o the chiller your readings will be off with the chiller in there.

Thanks for the responses. Sounds like leaving the IC in the wort the whole boil is the way for me.

I rarely use my IC, but I do leave it in the boil for the entire time. Get a set of brass garden hose disconnects and hook up the hose at the end, wearing gloves of course!

I do this, reason for doing so is I use giant tea balls containing my hops. I can then throw them in the center of the chiller and come flame out time its easier to retrieve them with a soup laddle.

50' of copper mounted into my kettle, and I do long (90-120m) boils. The beers taste the same or better as when I did not do so.
I keep hearing also that it is beneficial to have copper present in the boil. Hope so! hehe

Back