Grain Shortage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JVD_X

Reaction score
Hello all - I am not advocating that everything I read in this article is true but there is always a little bit of truth in even an outright lie.

I wonder what we could expect for the future of beer grain? Prices doubling?

This is alarmist garbage.

Since I wish I hadn't spent the time reading it, I'll sum up for everyone else:

He's basically saying that when global warming shortens growth cycles by a month (not happening anytime soon), that world starvation may occur. This also has the potential to topple governments. That's pretty much the article.

As for the price of grain going up... in the many lifetimes it will take before this happens, the cost of beer and grain will rise due to inflation more than anything else.

I work in the agricultural industry. This article is absolutely laughable. I was just talking with one of my growers the other day, and he was telling me that the supply of wheat is so large, he can't sell any of his grain right now or he'd be taking a loss. We have so much corn that we're the first society in history to burn it's food supply (ethanol). Yes, prices spiked there for a while, but quickly came down as people realized that they were unjustified with the amount of supply. Even if "climate change" affected the yields, genetics and fertilizer management programs have been progressing so rapidly, it might only set us back to where we were a year or two earlier.

This just means we should brew as much beer as humanly possible now, so that when armagedon arrives we can hole up in our houses and drink ourselves stupid while the rest of the earth withers away. :cross:

Concur with previous post--alarmist crap......

This type of article is a contributer to the failing economy. People read things like this and freak out. They start taking on sock drawer bank mentality so that they can eat when the rest of the world is starving.

This belongs in an editorial column. Not printed as fact to scare people.

I work in the agricultural industry. This article is absolutely laughable. I was just talking with one of my growers the other day, and he was telling me that the supply of wheat is so large, he can't sell any of his grain right now or he'd be taking a loss. We have so much corn that we're the first society in history to burn it's food supply (ethanol). Yes, prices spiked there for a while, but quickly came down as people realized that they were unjustified with the amount of supply. Even if "climate change" affected the yields, genetics and fertilizer management programs have been progressing so rapidly, it might only set us back to where we were a year or two earlier.

Hmmmm.... I'm wondering if prices for malt should start to come down. Just a thought.

Hmmmm.... I'm wondering if prices for malt should start to come down. Just a thought.

In general, prices to the end user don't go down, only up. They all used the spike in grain prices to justify raising the price of food, but as the grain prices came down, they sure as hell didn't lower the price back to where it was. Cheaper commodity prices just means higher margin for the company converting it to a usable product.

We have so much corn that we're the first society in history to burn it's food supply (ethanol).

So if corn is worthless - what is the incentive to grow it? That alone would point to a shortage. An artificial one. It puts farmers into a position where they can either sell their properties to developers like Toll Brothers for a big profit or risk several seasons of worthless crops.

Back