Blichmann BoilerMaker Brewpots

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duffbeer71

Reaction score
I am looking at getting a new brewpot and have been looking into the Blichmann BoilerMaker Brewpots. Does anyone own one of these and could you tell me the advantages of having one since they are quite expensive?

I have a 10 gallon Blichmann with super-fancy valve, sight glass, thermometer, etc.

The valve I never use--I cool my wort then siphon to keep cold break out of the fermenter (just a personal preference).

The sight glass I find handy. I try to keep careful track of my pre-boil volume so it helps. Must have? No. But handy nonetheless.

I like having the dial thermometer but it is too high in the pot to be of use in many applications (heating strike water, sparge water, etc.). If a person mashed in their pot I think it would be very useful. It is a bit troublesome as well because it gets "in the way" of stirring.

Appear to be developing a crack of some kind in the side of my Blichmann near the bottom. Bought it from Northern Brewer (drop shipped from Blichmann) so not that easy for me to get service from 600 miles away in Canada.

I think my summary would be that it was not a real good investment for over $300.

I have three of the 20 gallon ones (see images in my signature). You can accomplish the same thing with many other kettles, but some of the features of the "Blingmann's" are pretty nice. I like the accuracy of the measurement on the sight glass and the fact that the sight glass is well protected and easy to clean. I also like the snap in dip tube for the kettle screen and false bottoms. It makes disassembly and cleaning very easy. I use temp probes for most of my temperature measurements, but having their easy to read thermometers on the fronts of the kettles is nice also.

It all comes down to what you want to spend. I've also had other kettles and keggles, and they all can accomplish the same thing.

I have a 10 gallon Blichmann with super-fancy valve, sight glass, thermometer, etc.

The valve I never use--I cool my wort then siphon to keep cold break out of the fermenter (just a personal preference).

The sight glass I find handy. I try to keep careful track of my pre-boil volume so it helps. Must have? No. But handy nonetheless.

I like having the dial thermometer but it is too high in the pot to be of use in many applications (heating strike water, sparge water, etc.). If a person mashed in their pot I think it would be very useful. It is a bit troublesome as well because it gets "in the way" of stirring.

Appear to be developing a crack of some kind in the side of my Blichmann near the bottom. Bought it from Northern Brewer (drop shipped from Blichmann) so not that easy for me to get service from 600 miles away in Canada.

I think my summary would be that it was not a real good investment for over $300.

Thanks for the review. That was very insightful. Yeah, $300 bucks is alot for a brewpot if some the features are cumbersome or you don't even use.

I have three of the 20 gallon ones (see images in my signature). You can accomplish the same thing with many other kettles, but some of the features of the "Blingmann's" are pretty nice. I like the accuracy of the measurement on the sight glass and the fact that the sight glass is well protected and easy to clean. I also like the snap in dip tube for the kettle screen and false bottoms. It makes disassembly and cleaning very easy. I use temp probes for most of my temperature measurements, but having their easy to read thermometers on the fronts of the kettles is nice also.

It all comes down to what you want to spend. I've also had other kettles and keggles, and they all can accomplish the same thing.

They are nice features. How is the valve as far as getting clogged during use?

I could never justify buying one. I own one now because it was a gift for Christmas. It's super nice and looks freaking awesome which is probably the main reason to get one.

It's the 10 gal one, and I usually do 5 gal batches so the probe for the thermometer isn't even touching the wort. I usually nail my volumes from experience so I don't rely on the gauge for that much either.

The ball valves are sweet and you can hang the lid on the handle which is cool. It's taller and more narrow so I boil off less than my old kettle.

I wouldn't buy one personally because they are so expensive, but I'm happy to own one.

I own a 10 g and a 15 g. They are awesome. There are others out there for a bit less like polarware etc. The temp probe is at the 4 g mark on the 10 g so that isn't a problem. The sight glass is really useful too. If you don't mind the cost, you will be very happy with it.

I could never justify it either. I have a 30qt aluminum that came with my burner. I paid $80 for the combo

Added a valve ($30) and sight glass ($25). I don't see much use for a built in thermo on the brew kettle, a handheld works just as well for heating water. Even so, you can get thermo/sight glass kits or $50.

Altogether, I spent under $150 for the same functionality. I'm not nearly as attracted to shiny things as I am interested in saving money. Leaves more money in the wallet to spend in ingredients.

I own the 10-gal Blichmann kettle now and I have no complaints about it whatsoever. It has performed very well for me.

To prevent clogging of the dip-tube/ball-valve: use mesh bags for your hops or any other additions like whole spices, etc. Although I'd imagine this would be the same for any kettle with a dip-tube wort draining solution.

For what it's worth, if I were to do it all over again I would probably build a keggle. I like how durable the sankey kegs are and you can custom build them to match your specific brewing needs.

Back