Strong Bitter Bit R Done - 2014 Gold Metal ESB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowtires

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
Safale S04
Yeast Starter
No
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
No
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
9 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
21 @ 66f
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
nada
Additional Fermentation
Mash at 152
Tasting Notes
Tastes like delicious beer (never had a
11 lbs ESB Pale Malt (Gambrinus) (4 SRM) (probably like marris otter)
12.0 oz Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM)
0.50 oz Northern Brewer [8.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.50 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min

This is the first beer I have ever sent to competition, I designed the recipe myself using what I have available to me around the house and Beersmith as a guide. I knew fuggles was british, and i knew the malt was designed for british ales. So i set my parameters to ESB and played with this recipe until it fit the parameters. This is a very simple recipe and I did not expect to place in the competition. In fact this is the first ESB i have ever tasted. I don't know what set it apart from the others, but i suspect its the odd choice of bittering hops that gave it an edge over the competition.

I share with you this fine recipe so get brewing and Bit r Done!

DSC06306.jpg

Thanks!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Definitely going to try this one soon... Have to do a Enjoy By clone and Fuller's ESB first :)

Cobrachu, I would be interested if you send a pic of the medal when you get it. I'll post it

I have been looking for a simple, but tasty recipe while incorporating some MO I just picked up. I have a feeling this is the ticket.

Hi Snow... Your recipe sounds like what I'm looking for. A good base beer to dry hop experiment. I was going to use a Switchback clone, but yours looks delicious. Could you please go into further detail on the instructions for the process? Im not sure of a lot of things as ive only done one whole grain..im use to the detailed instructions that come with kits. Thanks in advance!

I think I posted this message in the wrong area so here goes again...
Hi Snow... Your recipe sounds like what I'm looking for. A good base beer to dry hop experiment. I was going to use a Switchback clone, but yours looks delicious. Could you please go into further detail on the instructions for the process? Im not sure of a lot of things as ive only done one whole grain..im use to the detailed instructions that come with kits. Thanks in advance!

I think I posted this message in the wrong area so here goes again...
rbrittne is online now Report Post

Yeah. The process depends quite a bit on your equipment. I use a cooler for a mash tun and batch sparge. I mash the grain at around 154 for this recipe to give it a medium body.

I made this one a few months ago and then had to travel. I came back to a fridge with about a 12-pack remaining and... not a beer you would think would age well but it does. Brewing this over the weekend of the 4th using the Gambrinus ESB Pale Ale Malt. I am excited since the last batch I made turned out so well.

Great recipe.

I just racked this into secondary. I made a change, used carafoam and biscuit instead of Munich. And williamette and centennial. The sample tasted great!!! Just wondering your og and fg on your batch???

It's ESB season for me and I won't be able to brew for another couple of weeks due to moving. That makes baby pandas sad. It also means even longer until I can brew this up again. It will be my 5th batch.

I have never brewed this since. I think this will be my next brew.

Back