My girlfriend. Help bring her to the good side of the Force

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd just leave her be. If she likes your beer, she'll drink it.

As far as reasons for starting to drink are concerned, I'll just be upfront and honest about it: I drank beer to be cool. And much like Norm MacDonald, dammit I was cool. I smoked, too. Cool people started hanging out with me. I started dating girls who used to not give me the time of day before. When I started drinking imports and micros, it was because I had easy access to them through the pizza joint I worked at... and it was also cool to be drinking a "fancy" beer at a party without being snobbish about it.

But some time around early college, cool sort of lost its allure. Then I was stuck with a smoking habit that was hell to kick (now limited to maybe one cigar per month), and a strong love of beer. So I guess it wasn't all bad.

My GF didn't like beer either. Magic Hat #9 was the first beer that both of us liked and thought that beer was actually a good beverage. I know it is a little hoppy but the other flavors make it special. We also had only been drinking BMC so idk.

LOL, that is another way to handle the situation. Kinda like my buddy who dumped a girl because she was a Yankees fan.

My wife hates almost all beer, the only think I could get her to actually drink was a Frambois. That being said, I keep a keg of cider on tap, and it keeps her happy...
^ this was my first thought upon reading your post (Cider).
As has been said many times, some people really don't like Beer. For the most part if that's something that's in their mind, it wont matter what beer it is because it'll "taste like beer".
The Cider, Wine & Meade sections here are great resources too (just as helpful as the Beer ones) and it's actually pretty interesting/fun to try. The great thing about simple cider or what have you is you can just throw it together without having to put a whole brew day in too.

Edit: Also, if you brew something that is "not beer" for her (even if you drink it too) it'll be a nice gesture & involve her in the process in a more inclusive way, than trying to change her mind on something.

Maybe. I'm no relationship expert, but consider this. What if her passion was quilting? What if she LOVED quilting and making quilts more than any other hobby. Now, you like them ok, and can appreciate them as "nice", but you can really appreciate how much she loves it. Now, assume she decides that YOU should be as excited as she is about this great hobby (your words), and starts to talk constantly about quilting, and its history, and how important it is. Not only expecting you to hang the quilts, but to appreciate them as much as she does.

Now, I realize that isn't a great analogy, but I think everyone gets what I'm saying. The hobby IS wonderful, and brewing is my obsession. Bob drinks my beer with gusto (even starting to become a hophead, finally) but I certainly can't push him or encourage him to love brewing. He doesn't like all beer styles, but he drinks more of them than he used to. He won't touch a stout, an imperial anything, or an oaked beer. He doesn't brew, doesn't enjoy talking about brewing, and doesn't help with brewing. Because it's MY hobby. If he handed me a shovel (gardening is HIS hobby), I'd get pissed.

I'm all about supporting your life partner. But I'm pricklish about trying to get them excited about a hobby that they lovingly tolerate.

Good advice. I am going to use it. My wife likes beer, but only the yellow fizzy stuff. There is nothing wrong with that, and I don't pressure her into liking something else. What I have been trying, is getting her excited (like I am) about the brewing process. She gives me a warning when I talk too much about it and says: "I feel a nosebleed coming". I will just leave her alone and save my excited rants for someone who has the same interest. She just likes to drink her cans of natty light and be left alone. Fair enough.

Oh, I am so happy that my girlfriend loves beer, loves making beer, loves fermenting beer in our closet and enjoy drinking any style of beer!

Good luck with your challenge. And a belgian white is a really easy beer to drink, let her try that!

Latest posts

Back