Entering First Competition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bwood1377

Reaction score
Ok so I'm a bit confused on what I should do and I wanted to get a few opinions. Brewed a Brewers Best Milk Stout but I soaked 2 vanilla beans (Cut up and scraped out) in approx. 1 - 2 oz of bourbon. Currently I have it entered in category 21A but was wondering if I should also enter it in the sweet stout category. I know that adding the vanilla doesn't classify in the sweet stout category but I tasted it before I bottled and I can tell its there but its not overpowering which is what I wanted anyway. Not sure what to do, any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Milk stout and sweet stout are the same thing, just different names. If you have enough bottles, enter it in both. If the Bourbon and Vanilla are noticeable, then it will probably get dinged in the sweet stout category, but category 23 (specialty beer) is probably the best fit in terms of style. It depends on the competition and the judges, but I was docked SEVERAL points in my first competition on my saison, because the judges said it should have been entered as a Witbier instead. Apparently entering in the incorrect category causes you to lose a significant number of points.

Back