Identifying species on an agar plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Majafoo

Reaction score
I started this hobby after I got into mycology so I already have the equipment (autoclave, flowhood) to do agar work.

I'm about to get a microscope too so I know that will help.

My question is, does anyone know any good resources for yeast/bacteria identification? I would love to be able to culture my own pure strains of brett, pedio, pachia, lacto, sacch and know the difference between the species.

Is this possible with just a microscope or would I need to be able to sequence and do genetics work to identify if it's say lacto delbrueckii or brevis?

Most of the time you can tell at least the species by the shape of the colony that is formed in the agar. You need a pretty strong microscope to actually identify the exact type of yeast, and a lot of know how. With my microscope I can tell weather it is a yeast or something else. I then streak it and try and isolate a pure colony, then I just brew with it and see what madness in sues.

I do not have literature at hand, but just Google it and ton's of info pop up. You can see most yeast strains with a normal micro scope, even lacto and brett can be seen. Isolating them is a different story.

Good Luck.

Latest posts

Back