Coffin style v. through the collar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TWS22

Reaction score
i'm planning my keezer build - used 15 cf GE picked up on craigslist for $50 :ban: - and tossing ideas around for style and final look.

wondering what the consensus is on pros and cons of the coffin style builds and the tap through the collar style. clearly the collar style is more frequently done. thoughts on why?

i'd love to hear everything from build complexity, challenges to a quality pour, convenience of use, etc.

Well, if I got to pick what I wanted, I'd pick the coffin style for looks and use. You can put the drip tray under it, it looks great, and the taps are eye level.

However, if you have to lift up the lid to change out a keg, you can't have it near a wall as you'd have to pull it away from the way first to open it. You'd also have lines along the top, and of course you'd have to cut a hole in the top of the keezer.

The collar means no drilling through your freezer, easy to open and change kegs or adjust the co2 pressure on each keg, etc.

For ease of use, I'd take the collar style.

Well, if I got to pick what I wanted, I'd pick the coffin style for looks and use. You can put the drip tray under it, it looks great, and the taps are eye level.

However, if you have to lift up the lid to change out a keg, you can't have it near a wall as you'd have to pull it away from the way first to open it. You'd also have lines along the top, and of course you'd have to cut a hole in the top of the keezer.

The collar means no drilling through your freezer, easy to open and change kegs or adjust the co2 pressure on each keg, etc.

For ease of use, I'd take the collar style.
I have a coffin with 5 taps and a second tower next to it with tap #6. They are mounted on the rear half of the lid and I used a metal stud cutting circular saw blade to cut the lid width wise. After installing a full width piano hinge, I am able to change kegs from the front half without disturbing anything.

I have a coffin with 5 taps and a second tower next to it with tap #6. They are mounted on the rear half of the lid and I used a metal stud cutting circular saw blade to cut the lid width wise. After installing a full width piano hinge, I am able to change kegs from the front half without disturbing anything.

have any pics? I am having trouble visualizing this. ?

have any pics? I am having trouble visualizing this. ?

Yeah, I took a bunch of pics lastnight when I posted, but being on a free membership, I can' post them. I will upgrade my account shortly and post the pics.

Edit: started a thread for it under "install a coffin or tower without the drawbacks." (Sorry, don't know how to post a lin to another thread from my phone)

i'm planning my keezer build - used 15 cf GE picked up on craigslist for $50 :ban: - and tossing ideas around for style and final look.

wondering what the consensus is on pros and cons of the coffin style builds and the tap through the collar style. clearly the collar style is more frequently done. thoughts on why?

i'd love to hear everything from build complexity, challenges to a quality pour, convenience of use, etc.

Check the thread in my sig line, I have a lot of info in there if you're considering a coffin.

For me, I have large dogs and didn't want them licking the taps. When it came right down to it, I had to get the funding and my wife saw Jester's design and decided on something similar...that was it. To me, the big differences were cost and complexity.

But (and I am biased) I think coffins look better:

IMG_2930.jpg

I liked the idea of coffin box more than through the collar, but I still wanted to be able to easily access my kegs, so I replaced the freezer lid with with 2 wooden tops (one fixed, one hinged)
January92010147.jpg

This saved a lot of spilled beer, when one stuck faucet handle broke off in my hand while it was in the open position!:mad:

Here is my write up on how I made it.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/beer-tap-120619/

I have seen another design where the builder made the collar longer than the freezer, reattached the lid, and built a coffin box on the overhang. I believe he also used the space under the overhang for his CO2 bottle.

Good Luck!

I liked the idea of coffin box more than through the collar, but I still wanted to be able to easily access my kegs, so I replaced the freezer lid with with 2 wooden tops (one fixed, one hinged)
January92010147.jpg

This saved a lot of spilled beer, when one stuck faucet handle broke off in my hand while it was in the open position!:mad:

Here is my write up on how I made it.
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/beer-tap-120619/

I have seen another design where the builder made the collar longer than the freezer, reattached the lid, and built a coffin box on the overhang. I believe he also used the space under the overhang for his CO2 bottle.

Good Luck!

Love the side by side setup, leaves a good bar space. Very nice job!
I didn't do a build thread for my hinged top, but here is the after the fact thread
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/install-coffin-tower-without-drawbacks-219915/

And here is a pic.
IMG_20110122_174614.jpg

Latest posts

Back