What will this make??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AllXtract

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers! I am going to be brewing a new recipe and I need some assistance in classifying it. I hope you all can help me. Here is what I will be brewing....

1# Munich 10 (Crushed)
.5# Light Roasted Malt (Crushed)
.5# Chocolate Malt (Crushed)
.5# Caramel 40L (Briess)
.5# Cara 20L (Castle)
2# Extra Dark DME
2 x 3.3# Gold LME
2 x 1oz. Mt. Hood Hops
1oz. Cascade Pellet Hops
1oz. Czech Saaz Pellet Hops
Irish Moss
Maple Syrup

I'm undecided on which yeast to use...
Wyeast American Ale 1056 (This is my default yeast of choice, but wondering if I should explore a little)
Wyeast Scottish Ale Activator 1728
Wyeast London Ale 1028

Thanks!

got a little carried away at the homebrew shop? that never happens. ;) for a 5 gallon batch it looks like you're cooking up something like an imperial porter. gonna be plenty dark, at least 8% ABV, depending on how much maple syrup you add, and about 30 -40 IBU depending on how you schedule the hops.

Any of those yeasts would be OK. Ferment it cold.

I strongly encourage you to use slurry harvested from a previous batch. That's the easiest and most efficient way to get a reasonable pitch rate.:tank:

+1. If you don't want to waste the batch, make sure you pitch a huge population of yeast.

First-off, I would like to point out that this is a variation of a recipe I found here on homebrewtalk @ (https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f67/kings-nutz-imperial-nut-brown-ale-134818/). I modified it to fit the ingredients I was given.

Ok, with that said, I brewed this recipe last night and I believe it will be more of a Porter due to the Extra Dark DME. I came to this conclusion because when I took a sample it tasted very roasty and had a really nice mouthfeel. Here is what I brewed....

1# Munich 10
.5# Light Roasted Malt
.5# Chocolate Malt
.5# Caramel 40L
.5# Cara 20L
- Grains soaked/mashed in 5qts of H2O @ 150F for 60 mins.; Steeped/rinsed with 4qts.of H20 @170F for 10 mins.; Combined with 3 gals. of H2O for remainder of process.

2# Extra Dark DME
1 x 3.3# Gold LME
.75oz. Mt. Hood Hops
.75oz. Cascade Pellet Hops
- Above added at start of 60 min. boil

1 x 3.3# Gold LME
Irish Moss
- Above added at 15min. remaining in the boil

1oz. Czech Saaz Pellet Hops (Added with 5 mins. remaining)

11oz (by weight)Pure Maple Syrup (Added ~1min. remaining)
OG = 1.064

I decided to use Wyeast Scottish Ale Activator 1728, which I started with 1cup of Extra Light DME and 1L of water 36 hours prior to brewing.

I plan on fermenting for 3 weeks (2 weeks in the pimary and 1 week in the secondary (5gal. glass carboy)), and letting it age for at least 3 months per Suthrncomfrt1884's recommendation.

Thank you all for your input and help. It really aided in my decision process.

-AllXtract

On Deck - Liberty Cream Ale Kit
In the Hole - Cream Stout Kit

Back