Santa List: Expert Advice on Conical or Chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ddwill

Reaction score
So my mom is asking what to get me for Xmas, and I thought either a conical fermenter or a wort chiller (depending on how much she will spend)

Any experts want to weigh in on Plastic versus Steel for the conical, how easy it is to use, or steel versus copper for a chiller. I am trying to leave this question open ended.

Thanks

copper is a better conductor, from what i understand, and it's cheaper than stainless.

you want a stainless conical...plastic is kind of a waste IMO, might as well just use a bucket.

IMO, if you do not have a good chiller, then you should not be getting a conical first.

IMO, if you do not have a good chiller, then you should not be getting a conical first.

I completely agree with this..I just upgraded from a 25 3/8 to a 50 1/2 copper immersion chiller and it made an amazing difference in both time to chill and temperature achieved. The beers I've done since have been clearer and taste better(because I'm not pitching yeast into wort that is too warm).

Get the chiller, the best one you can, wait for next year for the conical.

Back