Adding Cacao Nibs AND Vanilla Beans?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I was planning on adding cacao nibs and vanilla extract to a stout. Based on other people's experiences it sounds like the vanilla beans are done in the secondary fermenter. The cacao nibs can be done either at the end of the boil or into the secondary, but if I'm doing vanilla in the secondary, will there be a problem doing cacao nibs then too?

I was planning on soaking the split and cut vanilla beans in bourbon and just tossing that into the secondary, liquid and all. Any problems with cacao nibs there too?

You may want to soak them in vodka if you're looking for a good chocolate flavor. While vanilla is powerful enough to stand up to bourbon, the chocolate isn't. I love cocoa nibs, but I've never used them in secondary. I always boil for 3-5 minutes and end up with a nice chocolate flavor.

Thanks for your advice. I might do them at the end of the boil. I just wasn't sure if the chocolate would come through quickly or if it would have to sit longer.

use just part of your nibs in the boil and then some mor ein secondary for added aroma. the nibs in the boil will add to the overall biterness as well.

use just part of your nibs in the boil and then some mor ein secondary for added aroma. the nibs in the boil will add to the overall biterness as well.

this seems like a good idea, do them in both.

You probably want more nibs to beans I would think.

Back