Custom printed Growlers - without breaking the bank - where?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bf514921

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So i have been searching around for places to do custom growlers. just 3-6 of them depending on pricing. The swingtop european style growlers with a mettal handle. I wouldnt mind a decal , one color screen printing or somthing like that. the problem i am running into is most places require more than i can affort to order, or i could order a small number and the cost per growler is prohibitive (close to 100$ apiece).

So my questions
1. Has anyone decaled a european style growler?
2. has anyone had custom european style swingtop growlers made?
3. is there another method of customizing, maybe glass etching i could persue?

i am only looking to get a versy small quantity (2-4)

I would suggest going with blank growlers that represent the style that your looking for and then look into DIY etching or screen printing, although not sure how to do that on glass...

I just did a little googling, and the problem from what I can tell is that glass is typically screen printed.

I dont know if you are aware of how screen printing is done, while the process is pretty simple and straight forward to actually do, there is a lot of setup and tear down involved. My mom used to teach this to HS students (thats how I know). Screen printing used to be the typical method to get ink on a variety of things, including clothing, but due to the time involved with setup and tear down of screens and the fact that many screen setups were limited in the number of colors they could do, her equipment could do four colors. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Screen_printing

The other option I have found is etching glass which is probably the most cost effective option: http://www.glassetchingsecrets.com/howtosteps.html

I have no experience with this, and more googling will probably give you more info.

I don't know if Things Remembered still does glass sand blasting etching. They did when I worked there in high school YEARS ago.

I'd buy some gorwlers and look for them or a trophy shop that could do the sand blasting etching for you.

These work very well and are pretty easy to do. Not sure how dishwasher safe they are, but they do stick well to glass. The show making a decal for a glass on one of their tutorials.

i knew there was an etching thread somewhere, just couldn't remeber where. i might try both and rport the results. growler is a gift for a friend. thanks john, yuri

http://www.vessyl.com/ - blown glass growlers, swing top caps.

I don't know how much you're looking to spend, and these are not metal handle but they are unique and custom - you can contact the sculptor with your very own shape/color scheme request - and they aren't $100/ea. Never hurts to ask for a quantity discount.

Might as well mention they also have glass tap handles.

trying to keep it around 50 bucks, it for a friend of mine, he grows hops for me becuase he likes to garden, grows them on his farm. he has 8 varieties of established plants ang got another 7 or 8 varietiey i think this year. he keeps me in hops, i keep him in beer its a win win. so for his bday in agust, i was goint to get/make him his own personalized growler with name, or something catchy or just for grins maybe a logo. but i figured if i had to make it i would need to get started as early as posible.

How about going to a place that cuts vinyl for signs?
I've had them do lettering, graphic and numbers for boats and they've withstood sun, sand, pressure washing, etc. Pretty reasonably priced and an unbelievable selection of colors, fonts and graphics too.
They can also work from your design without expensive setup fees or minimums.

Back