Do side arms only go to the side?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayC

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I started my hops in a planter inside. I didn't get my garden area prepped for transplanting until much later than I had planned on, and I had 1-2 foot tall bines when I moved them outside. I know, for a fact, that I did serious root damage while transplanting. I tried to avoid it, but I really didn't know how far they had gone, and they were damn fragile. I had some bines die back, and a few had their tips dry up and die. One or two bines seems to have come through unscathed, and have resumed growing. Recently, at the little stubs left from some of the bines that have died off, there appear to be side arms/shoots coming off from the original shoot, near where the leaves used to branch off. If these are side arms, will they be trainable to go up the twine I have, or will they just go to the side (whatever that means, I've never done this before). Or, do you all think there's a chance that my rhizome is using what's left of the old, dead shoot to start some more shoots? I'm guessing a picture would help, but it's already dark out. I'll see what I can do over the weekend.

That sounds pretty much like what my Challenger is doing right now. At the moment the side-arms are only about 12 inches long so aren't long enough to train, but when they get a little longer I'm going to try training the side-arms around the support rope. I'll let you know how I get on.

If they are sidearms, they won't grow all that much. Most hops have sidearms between 8" & 3 feet long.

I have one bine this year that started out from last year's stubble, so you might be ok.

My 3 year old Nugget is growing wild. It has migrated under the fence, into the neighbors yard, and several of the bines have grown back through the fence, and I have them trained up a sisal rope. Now I have them going two different direction, down the fence. I'm gonna have a LOT of hops from them this year.

I also built a trellis from these diagrams :

http://home.chattanooga.net/~cdp/hoptrel/trellis.htm

The only modifications I made, were to use EMT at the base and at the mid-point, as the instructions suggest to use boards to lash them together.

Back