adding coffee to a milk stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drummer4gc

Reaction score
hey everyone,

im currently brewing a milk stout that will go into a keg in a few days and sit to age until christmas. I was planning on adding coffee to the beer, and it seems like cold brewing a batch is the way to go. My fear is that if i let this beer age 2+ months, the coffee flavor will fade or go stale. Am I better off adding the coffee after it ages and right before i tap the keg? or will the coffee flavor combine well with the beer as it ages?

thanks,
matt

I regularly make a coffee milk stout but from experience it is better fresh so I recommend adding the coffee when you are closer to drinking it, but just my experience :)

If you want the coffee to be smoother, let it age with the beer. If you add it later, yes, the coffee will be more prominent, kind of a judgement call. It won't taste bad or stale, the beer will keep that from happening.

How much coffee grounds do you use and how much total cold steeped liquid coffee should you add to a 5 gallon batch?

How much coffee grounds do you use and how much total cold steeped liquid coffee should you add to a 5 gallon batch?

I'm don't remember how much i used in the 5 gallons, that's why I way add to taste. Stop when you like what you have. Small additions of course.

Back