Kolsch Lager Partial Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McCall St. Brewer

Reaction score
I picked up the ingredients for a Kolsch lager. The shop gave me a form set of instructions to follow which they filled in for this recipe. I got this at a different store than I usually go to and I noticed that this form differs from the instructions my usual store gives me.

My usual store's instructions say to put the grain bag in 2 gallons of water, heat it to 150 degrees and hold it there for 20 minutes while frequently dunking the grain bag like a tea bag. After 20 minutes, it calls for raising the temp to 180 and then removing the grain bag.

The new sheet says instead to put the grain bag in the water, raise the temperature gradually to almost the boiling point and then remove.

Will this make a big difference to do it the second way?

IMHO, when it comes to steeping grains it doesn't much matter which of the methods you use. The purpose is just to extract some color and flavor from the grains...you get little if any sugar extraction from steeping.

Back