Bottle Conditioning and Priming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nicklawmusic

Reaction score
I wonder if you can help me?

I've tried both priming bottles by the batch and individually with dextrose.

When batch priming, I've done all the calculations via Brewer's Friend, etc. I've made sure my beer is the correct temperature when calculating and the sugar solution is mixed in correctly. I've made sure that my quantities of sugar are correct, and in some instances have added 20-30g more than required for reasons that will become evident below.

When I prime each bottle, I make sure that the individual bottles receive a flat measuring spoon of 2.5ml.

Both batch and individual primes bottles condition for 2 weeks minimum at 20C.

Without FAIL the individually primed bottles always have very good carbonation, giving a good head (if slightly lively sometimes). The batch primed never live up to this. Although they are carbonated, they always seem dull in comparison

I can't get my head around it. EVERYBODY swears by batch priming but I find it never quite hits the mark.

I shall be moving to a brewery soon to brew (I'm a commercial home brewer at present - don't ask!) and I'm worried that as I'll be doing 100L batches, as I'll have to batch prime, I'm not going to get the kind of carbonation that I'm getting with each bottle.

Anyone else have this issue or shed light on it?

Yes, because even when I tried weighing the batch amount (ie: 21L / 0.33 x 2.5(g)) it still wasn't as carbonated!

Sorry, I meant 2.5g. When I was trying to figure this out I took the measuring soon and weighed it amount of dextrose on a digital weighing scale. It was 2.5g.

How much Dextrose by weigt (g./l.) du you use to prime a batch? i've always used 7-8 g./l. and it never failed me - not even when cold crashing for 4-5 days (hence less yeast in suspension)

Initially, it was around 5.1g per litre, but I've started doing it at around 7g per litre. The last batch I primed this way wasn't too bad, but - according to the books - this amount should give a CO2 of around 2.6. When I tried 2.4 for an IPA is way much to flat.

Initially, it was around 5.1g per litre, but I've started doing it at around 7g per litre. The last batch I primed this way wasn't too bad, but - according to the books - this amount should give a CO2 of around 2.6. When I tried 2.4 for an IPA is way much to flat.

Yup! That's my experience as well. You hear a lot of bottle bombs and stuff, but i've tried carbonating with 10 g./l. without explosions. Think the most important thing is to wait until you have a steady! FG ;)

So my current issue is I batch primed a porter with 8.3g per litre (total of 23.4L with 196g dextrose) on 12th August.

They've been conditioning for 11 days at 20C and they're still practically as flat as a pancake.

There's not much yeast in the bottom of the bottles. I used WLP005. Do you think, when using liquid yeast I ought to pitch a neutral yeast - such as S04 - when I bottle if I'm batch priming in case the liquid yeast has given up the ghost.

As I'm selling these batches commercially, any ideas how I can redeem this batch? How long should I wait for 'full carbonation' without getting my hopes dashed?!

So my current issue is I batch primed a porter with 8.3g per litre (total of 23.4L with 196g dextrose) on 12th August.

They've been conditioning for 11 days at 20C and they're still practically as flat as a pancake.

There's not much yeast in the bottom of the bottles. I used WLP005. Do you think, when using liquid yeast I ought to pitch a neutral yeast - such as S04 - when I bottle if I'm batch priming in case the liquid yeast has given up the ghost.

As I'm selling these batches commercially, any ideas how I can redeem this batch? How long should I wait for 'full carbonation' without getting my hopes dashed?!

I wouldn't give up on it just yet. I've had succes in turning each bottle upside down and giving a good shake will bring the yeast at the bottom in suspension (and at work) again. Then try to up the carbonation temp. a bit to say 23-24°C.

Should do the trick after another week ;)

Commercial homebreweing: I have a producers license from HMRC to produce and sell beer wholesale and the insurances in order to do it from home. Having set up, I need - and am moving towards - making larger quantise through an existing brewery.

Back