Priming with juice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WiseIrishman

Reaction score
Long story short, I want to prime my grapefruit wheat beer with lemonade.

I've recently been playing with fruit beers, one of which is a grapefruit wheat. I tasted the beer after 6 days over fresh squeezed (after campden tablets and freezing, of course) grapefruit juice in secondary and the flavor was pretty good... but I think I could improve it with a little hint of lemon.

I've been able to find a few threads on priming with juice but I was hoping for a few more testimonials. My plan is to prime using lemonade rather than the usual sugar. The lemonade that I prefer has a short ingredient list of water, cane sugar, lemon juice, and lemon juice from concentrate. I've fermented this juice with some champagne yeast and it makes for a great alternative to Mikes Hard Lemonade, by the way.

There's 25 grams of sugar per 8 ounce serving. Could I basically do a straight conversion to the correct amount of cane sugar needed, assuming most of the sugar is fermentable?

(By the way, the other flavors I am trying with this wheat beer are peach, raspberry, and green apple. Pretty excited about the peach and raspberry!!!)

I give detailed info on priming with alternative primers including fruit juice (including the link to the podcast,) and other sugars in my bottling stickey- Scroll to the lower half of this post.

Revvy could you maybe help me out a little, what's the benefit to priming with juice.
For example if you making a Belgian white with orange peel and coriander would it show any benefits to prime with orange juice or orange honey?

Revvy could you maybe help me out a little, what's the benefit to priming with juice.
For example if you making a Belgian white with orange peel and coriander would it should any benefits to prime with orange juice or orange honey?

Because it's fun. It's different. Part of this hobby is about pushing the envelope, experimenting, seeing what happens when we try something uncommon. Benefits? To me that's the benefit......I can't really give you a better answer.

Because it's fun. It's different. Part of this hobby is about pushing the envelope, experimenting, seeing what happens when we try something uncommon. Benefits? To me that's the benefit......I can't really give you a better answer.

Fair enough, was just checking if im missing out on something.
I may venture into this are once I have more beer under my belt, I would if you could prime a chocolate stout with chocolate syrup for example?

Fair enough, was just checking if im missing out on something.
I may venture into this are once I have more beer under my belt, I would if you could prime a chocolate stout with chocolate syrup for example?

Don't use chocolate it has fat in it and will separate your beer into two layers. I did it with a dark brew and it screwed that batch up. i used coco id imagine syrup is even worse

Back