Barreling problems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm onto my second batch of home brew. The first one wasn't great (to say the least).

I've transferred both batches from my fermentation bin to a King Keg Top Tap by siphoning. I've primed the barrell with 100g of sugar but neither batch has shown any sign of secondary fermentation. As a result, both batches have been competely flat and the barrel has not been pressurised. I've had to add additional CO2 to get any beer out of the barrell.

The result, as I'm sure you're all aware is a pretty nasty beer!

Anyone got any handy hints?

A couple of things.

What temperature are you keeping the barrell at?

A secondary fermentation is misleading.
Fermentation takes place in a primary. What you are doing is going straight from primary to priming/carbonating.

The secondary vessel is a clearing/conditioning tank.

King kegs are notoriously leaky and often result in poor carbonation levels. Next time you do it try using a couple of bottles as well with added priming sugar and see how they do. You can also try upping the sugar a little

Why did your first brew not go well?

Learn to love REAL ale: www.camra.org.uk ! [nothing personal orfy ;) ]

Other than carbonation levels, can you give us a better idea of what's wrong with the first batch?

I'm going to try transferring to bottles on my next batch. I suspect the King Keg barrell is the problem. The primary fermentation is great but after I syphon the brew into the King Keg (with priming sugar) there is no activity at all.

I think the main problem is my inexperience. Need more practice (and time!).

Cheers

Back