Secondary fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gp125racer

Reaction score
Im wanting to brew up my first wheat beer tomorrow, but I wont have the secondary available for quite sometime as Im letting my friend borrow it to brew his first batch.

With my other brews, Ive just let them sit in the primary for 2 weeks, then I goto bottling. Will that be acceptable with the wheat style as well?

Thanks All!
-=gp125racer=-

Do as you wish, it'll turn out fine.

I guess being a wheat beer your'e not going for clarity or a "clean taste"
Secondary will help with both of those.

Thanks fellas! I appreciate the feedback as always. Have a hoppy new year :)

PS: Orfy, I like the Beer Blog you have setup, I think im gonna have to grab a homebrew tonight and give it a once thru.

One of these days, Im gonna have to try and get someone to mentor me thru the all grain process. Looks like so much fun :)

-=gp125racer=-

From what I understand going staight to bottling instead of racking to a secondary dosen't really make a difference unless you are making a light colored ale or you are shooting for a certain clairity in your brew:cross:

This is definitely one of the styles where you can get away with not secondary'n. Just make sure not to skimp on the time in the bottles that would have been in the secondary; the beer will still need to age and you will have more yeast in the bottles, which once again, lends itself to this style.

In other words, I primary for 7-10 days, secondary for 2 weeks, and (when I bottled) would let them carb for at least two weeks before cracking them open (er....many open).

So let the beer age the same amount of time as you would, including your secondary and you'll be gold, just with more yeast in the bottles.

Let us know!

:mug:

Back