Steel or plastic spoon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mtrogers14

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone had a recommendation as to what type of stirring spoon to go with. Plastic is cheaper and comes in a longer length but stainless seems like it would last longer. Any suggestions ??

Haven't tried both but the long plastic ones I looked at seemed sorta flimsy, so I went with stainless.

I have a plastic mash paddle that I also use to stir my boil. I like it because I can use it as a measuring stick, too (mark off 1/2 gallon increments with a sharpie). it's a little bendy, especially when powering through a thick mash, but it gets the job done.

I like stainless. I can see that it'd be nice to have a flexible one in some circumstances, but I'd either want both or just the steel.

I have the long handled plastic spoon & paddle. I feel better knowing they won't scratch. I use them in the fermenter for stirring etc. Don't want the plastic FV's scratched on the inside.

I used a stainless spoon for the first time last weekend. Unfortunately it was too short only about 2 inches above my pot. It got hot real fast! LOL

It really doesn't matter to the beer you're brewing. You can even use a wood one....Many of us who do ag have wooden mash paddles.

This is purely a preference issue....ultimate choose what works for you.

Back