Turkey Fryer/Propane Burner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My neighbor has a similar or the same model works just fine. If you look closely I believe it has a that shuts off the propane every 20 minutes or so. It kinda of a PIA, but I'm sure it could be bypassed.

I happened to look at that when I was in Sams the other day. It looks like a pretty good value since it comes with a 9 gallon pot. You'll want to handle the pot with some care so that you don't bend it up too much. It's probably an OK starter setup.

It does have a timer, so you'll want to find a way to bypass that. Also, I couldn't find anything on the box that stated how many BTU's the burner is.

I've used, on a few occasions, an el-cheapo turkey fryer kit that was picked up at Target for like 40 bucks.

Temp control is a little tricky, but it had no trouble keeping 5 gallons at a full rolling boil with no lid in about 40 degree weather with a slight breeze. All things considered, it beats the hell out of trying to make do with the kitchen stove.

Yeah, my kitchen stove blows, and im trying to boil 3 gallons on a glasstop. it takes forever.

Yeah, my kitchen stove blows, and im trying to boil 3 gallons on a glasstop. it takes forever.

Three months out of the year you should be able to sit your on your driveway or roof and achieve a boil in 30 minutes.

I hear ya. Kitchen stoves just aren't built for boiling that volume of water, at least without a lid. I actually looked into getting a better stove, but to get one that would do a full 5 gallon boil, well, let's just say it would make more financial sense to go buy a full 10 gallon, all-grain brew sculpture.

Nobody is going to tell you that a cheapo turkey fryer is the ultimate brewing setup, but given that you can pick them up for $30 or $40 bucks when they go on sale after Thanksgiving, it's hard to argue against one if the alternative is the kitchen stove.

Latest posts

Back