Hop Storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Emian

Reaction score
I've bought a couple pounds of hops. They are vacuum sealed right now. Any one got any thoughts on if it's worth vacuum re-sealing them once opened. I don't have a vacuum sealer - but can get get one - but is it cost effective? Does vacuum sealing reduce degradation significantly enough justify the cost.

They're Cascades - 8% - and I'll use them in 3 - 4 months.

Thanks
Ian

Get a foodsaver! You can use it for grains too. If your a serious brewer you won't regret buying one.

I just keep mine ziplocked. I figure they should be fine as long as I use them in the next few months.

It may help with longer term storage, however I don't have the money.

If you want a foodsaver keep an eye out for deals, a week ago foodsaver was selling a newer model for $46 on sale with free shipping.

I bought one of these on sale at the grocery store for less than $5. I haven't used it yet. But, I like the concept.

The Handi-Vac is okay if you're not using it too often. I picked one up at the grocery for $4 and I've used it on some hops. Initially, three out of eight bags didn't hold a vacuum for more than a few hours. I then read on the web site to run your finger over the little target thingy on the bag after sealing. This seemed to fix the problem, but we'll see how long they hold.

I think the Handi-Vac is a good temporary solution and I do like the fact that you can re-use the bags, but I'm keeping an eye out for another good deal on one of the better FoodSavers.

Yes, buy a vacuum sealer. They are fantastic. As others said, you'll use it for plenty of other things. I can justify buying several pounds of hops at a time now.

Plus, who homebrews because it is cost effective?

Back