Using saved primary yeast when bottling barley wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gofastr1

Reaction score
Brewed my first barley wine the end of April 2012 (recipe derived from Old Foghorn and Alaskan's Pilot Series). OG: 1.113.

Racked to secondary (after about a month in primary) at FG: 1.026 (just under 12% ABV), dry hopped and held at 45 degrees for three months, and subsequently added wood (french oak spiral) where it's now been for another three months. When I racked to secondary, I saved a some of the (unwashed) yeast cake in 1/2 pint sanitized water bottles, which I intended to use with the priming sugar when bottling. I didn't wash this yeast because at that time I didn't know I should, but my wort was very clean (no trub). I've kept these pints of yeast at or just below 32 degrees.

I've heard more than a few stories of such strong beers never carbing in the bottles, so looking for some advice.

My nube thought was to use that saved yeast (now 6 months old) with priming sugar at bottling because it was accustomed to the high alcohol environment. Should I just go with this thought and add a few tablespoons of some of that saved yeast along with priming sugar for bottling?

Or should I kick off a small starter with that saved yeast and add that starter with sugars at bottling.... or just go with a few threads I read and rehydrate a half package of 05 (or Nottingham or ??) and add that with priming sugar?

Without empirical knowledge, I think the safale 05 would be good. I like reusing the yeast idea but maybe in another batch. Not sure what your original strain was but am wondering if it tuckered out.

Thanks for the quick reply - original strain sitting in bottles now is WLP001. In prep for the original brew, I'd stepped up a vial of this over two or three expansions to a little over a 1/2 gallon of starter, crashed it and pitched the yeast slurry. It moved through fermentation quite quickly to about 1.028 (about 2 weeks) then dropped only another 0.002 points over the next two week. I figured it had converted about all the sugars that would ferment at that point.

Latest posts

Back