Auber Instruments new relay

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wadefisher

Brew Meister
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Auber Instruments comes through again. A very compact and affordable relay. There are times I have put in those big clunky relays to do some switching and wondered why I couldn't find something like this. It will switch 30 amps and only cost $9 and it is small.

Just wanted to put it out there, may be useful in some builds.

I ordered several to keep on hand.

They also carry a $7 E-Stop switch. This is very affordable and I like it better than what a lot of people are doing where they rely on the GFCI to trip. I've seen to many failed GFCI's
This is going in my next build. Already have it ordered.

FYI I have not used either of these products as of this date, but they are both ordered for in my new panel I'm designing.

index.php

Comments....

The E-stop switch still needs to be hooked up to a circuit to trip the GFCI. It's just called the E-stop switch because it has a larger mushroom head and it's push to close and twist to unlock operation.

I'm not sure I like the relay. It says it has a limited lifetime, and I'd hate for it's lifetime to end in the middle of a brew. That's my only complaint. Other than that it seems to be a great deal.

But... for those looking for good quality, inexpensive parts, and the support of Auber Instruments, the relay is a good alternative.

kellzey said:
I'm not sure I like the relay. It says it has a limited lifetime, and I'd hate for it's lifetime to end in the middle of a brew. That's my only complaint. Other than that it seems to be a great deal.

The lifetime is 10 million cycles, according to the specs. Probably orders of magnitude better than the number of rated trips for a GFCI.

Comments....

But... for those looking for good quality, inexpensive parts, and the support of Auber Instruments, the relay is a good alternative.

I'm not meaning to use this where you need an SSR. Many applications need a relay to switch something on/off. ALL mechanical relays have a 'limited lifetime' usually rated in the millons of cycles. This one is no different.

Good to know.

Says electrical is 100,000 and mechanical is 10,000,000

Regardless, I don't think someone will brew THAT much beer. LOL

Back