opinions please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigniall666

Reaction score
Ok so im getting ready to do my first cider at the end of the month, shiney new fermenter for it too! but here's the catch, you've heard of hard apple cider yes? well i was thinking of pushing the boat out a little further again, i've picked up a yeast that will ferment up to 20% ABV, question is will it actually taste like cider at 20% ABV or more like donkey piss?

cheers

Just wondering...this yeast you are using, is it 'Turbo Yeast' or possibly Lalvin EC-1118??

I am not sure how much sugar you would have to add to give the yeast to get the ABV that high. Someone more versed would have to answer that ( I am sure there is a chap on here that can answer that ). At 20% you might lose all of the apple flavor...not sure. Never have heard of a cider that was 20% that didn't taste like hootch. I have had apple liqueur that was 21% but then again that was a crafted distilled spirit. Good question though!

Here is a link to a HomeBrewTalk topic called 'Massive Strength Hard Cider that you might find informational:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/massive-strength-hard-cider-90680/

Just wondering...this yeast you are using, is it 'Turbo Yeast' or possibly Lalvin EC-1118??

I am not sure how much sugar you would have to add to give the yeast to get the ABV that high. Someone more versed would have to answer that ( I am sure there is a chap on here that can answer that ). At 20% you might lose all of the apple flavor...not sure. Never have heard of a cider that was 20% that didn't taste like hootch. I have had apple liqueur that was 21% but then again that was a crafted distilled spirit. Good question though!

Here is a link to a HomeBrewTalk topic called 'Massive Strength Hard Cider that you might find informational:

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/massive-strength-hard-cider-90680/

it would actually! :) Alcotec Turbo Pure 48 to be exact, and thanks for the link, i'll check it out!

it would actually! :) Alcotec Turbo Pure 48 to be exact, and thanks for the link, i'll check it out!

You are welcome.:mug:

I have no experience with turbo yeast, but from doing some searching, it isn't met with favorable reviews as it appears to give off nasty byproducts and looks to be primarily for distillation uses.**

You are welcome.:mug:

I have no experience with turbo yeast, but from doing some searching, it isn't met with favorable reviews as it appears to give off nasty byproducts and looks to be primarily for distillation uses.**

when i picked up that yeast, i also picked up a tub of YOUNGS SUPER WINE YEAST COMPOUND, any experience with that?

Youngs Super Wine Yeast Compound - This yeast is specially formulated for high alcohol and speedy fermentation and clearing. Use at the rate of 1tsp per gallon

Ingredients: Bentonite, Dried Wine Yeast, Diammonium Phosphate, Trace vitamins, Trace Minerals.
--------------
Now I don't claim to be an expert and am somewhat of a novice myself, but a good rule of thumb that my Gramps used to tell me: is don't push yeast too hard.

I lifted this from a distilling site: " The biggest problem with turbos is people follow the 'instructions' and shoot for 18% or worse yet, 20 or 21%. THAT is what makes for nasty flavored product (well, along with turbo's not settling worth a crap). "

If you want, I can send you the link in a PM to the article that talks about Youngs...as I said it is used heavily for distillation means as well as the turbo yeast...so most information you are going to collect online is in regards to distillation.

It will likely be fairly harsh for a while. I would at least use apple juice concentrate and add sugar of you need to. That will help preserve the apple flavor.

Youngs Super Wine Yeast Compound - This yeast is specially formulated for high alcohol and speedy fermentation and clearing. Use at the rate of 1tsp per gallon

Ingredients: Bentonite, Dried Wine Yeast, Diammonium Phosphate, Trace vitamins, Trace Minerals.
--------------
Now I don't claim to be an expert and am somewhat of a novice myself, but a good rule of thumb that my Gramps used to tell me: is don't push yeast too hard.

I lifted this from a distilling site: " The biggest problem with turbos is people follow the 'instructions' and shoot for 18% or worse yet, 20 or 21%. THAT is what makes for nasty flavored product (well, along with turbo's not settling worth a crap). "

If you want, I can send you the link in a PM to the article that talks about Youngs...as I said it is used heavily for distillation means as well as the turbo yeast...so most information you are going to collect online is in regards to distillation.

yeah sure send it on! the other option would be is to not go that high, what i'm looking for is a nice tastey hard cider, with a higher alcohol content than most. taste is important, no point in brewing sewage for the difference of a few percent! what would ye think about the youngs yeast aiming for maybe 12-15%? now even though there is a super in the name, it is still classified as a wine yeast?!?

yeah sure send it on! the other option would be is to not go that high, what i'm looking for is a nice tastey hard cider, with a higher alcohol content than most. taste is important, no point in brewing sewage for the difference of a few percent! what would ye think about the youngs yeast aiming for maybe 12-15%? now even though there is a super in the name, it is still classified as a wine yeast?!?

Sure, just sent the link to you via PM.

Personally, I think that you are right in going for the 12% to 15% range...some my say even that ABV range is borderline applewine and has gone out of the traditional range of cider ( being 2% to 8.5% ) if you are a traditional cider purist. You could always back sweeten/flavor it to achieve the apple taste/sweetnes level that you are looking for. No one person is the authority on what YOU like in a cider. Go for it!!! Explore and create =)

Again, being somewhat of a novice myself, I am not versed in the calculations of how much sugar you would have to add to get to that ABV. I am sure someone reading this reply can help you on that end my friend.

i think i'll toss the turbo yeast in the drawer and give the youngs stuff a go, on that other forum some guy said it works well for his wines, it'll be an experience anyway! as for back sweetening, the idea of it is appealing but unfortunately my fridge isnt that big and i wouldnt want to risk any further fermentations, especially when i bottle the stuff!

but yeah i'll give the youngs stuff a go and sure at least then for ciders, there will be a bit more info to contribute to the forums!

so lets say you start out at OG 1070, you add 1-2 tsp turbo 48, now it's only got so much sugar to work with, what is the worse thing that could happen?

Ok so im getting ready to do my first cider at the end of the month, shiney new fermenter for it too! but here's the catch, you've heard of hard apple cider yes? well i was thinking of pushing the boat out a little further again, i've picked up a yeast that will ferment up to 20% ABV, question is will it actually taste like cider at 20% ABV or more like donkey piss?

cheers

It's going to taste like fuel. Some aging might mellow it a bit, but it'll take a long time, maybe a year or two. I've heard that turbo yeast can throw some off flavours, but I've never used it myself.
Regards, GF.

I odered all the highest achohol content yeasts for that purpose red star curvee & red star champage & EC-1118....have 5 gallon started with the curvee.....

Back