Seal-a-meal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justbrewit

Zythos Conisseur
Reaction score
so i finally got a vaccuum sealer, my question is, how long will milled base grains last if thier vaccuum sealed? i don't have a big enough freezer to store grain so it will be sitting in my closet.

along the same lines, what about hops that are vaccuum sealed and not in the freeze.

thanks for your input

I treat my base grains like crackers. A box of crackers stays fresh for a LONG time if you keep it closed. Leave it open on the counter overnight, and they get stale.

I pick up 55# bags of grain from a distributor. They have pallets full of the stuff sitting in a warehouse in Tampa, FL. No AC. They are not vacuum sealed bags, but they are sealed from the humidity.

Moral of my story: don't bother refrigerating your grains, but DO keep them sealed in an airtight (but not vacuum sealed) container.

People say that you should be able to keep crushed grains for a cou0ple of weeks. Maybe add a few more if they are vacuum sealed. Best if cool and DRY.

Latest posts

Back