What would you do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewshki

Reaction score
I have a very low alcohol hefeweizen (3.5%) that will be bottled tonight and I am wondering if my next beer should utilize the yeast cake I am about to rack off of. I did this once before and just did another hefeweizen.

I have been listening to a lot of old Brewing network archives and recently went passed one of the shows where Jamil was talking about brewing a small beer with yeast and using the cake for another beer that uses the same yeast but needs more active healthy cells.

Basically, this last beer was a big starter. My only question is, what kind of beer can I use WLP300 with? A dunkelweizen? any ideas? I really do love hefes, but I would like to expand my knowledge of this type of beer.

thanks!

i will be brewing this weekend no matter what. I am honestly just wondering what to brew next. this sounded like a fun idea, but I'm not sold on it. any recipe thoughts? I've only ever done hefes, two pale ales, and a stout haha

You'd want a style that you don't mind being estery...witbier, weizens, maybe a Belgian pale ale or IPA if you feel like branching out a little more.

any suggestions of weizens?

I don't have any specific recipes that I can recommend, but a dunkelweizen or weizenbock would be different enough to branch out from what you've already brewed. Or, take the recipe you used last time and try adding fruit or other adjuncts. I once made a hefe with fresh mashed bananas added to the fermenter (just to double down on the banana notes) and it turned out decently.

Back