3/4" or 1/2" drains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cowboy1

Reaction score
I'm starting to build a mostly automated HERMS system and wanted to get some feedback on drain size and location in the Keegles. I'm using 2 center inlet Chugger pumps that are 3/4" inlet and 1/2" outlet. I want to put each vessel on legs with rollers and weld 3/4" half couplings into the bottom of the pots and mount pump on the bases below the BK and HLT. Has anybody tried this before? I have done a lot of searching and found nothing on 3/4 outlets most seem to use 1/2" in the side and use a dip tube. If it matters I plan to use a hop spider to clear the wort entering the kettle and during cooling circulation.

Cheers,

David

I have the March pumps with center inlet and used a reducer to get to 1/2"
The only reason was to standardize all to 1/2" cuz that's what all my other items were.

If starting out and you have the option I would leave the pump inlet 3/4" so I would also run 3/4" from the keggles for max flow. I believe your outlet is still 1/2" isn't it?

In any case, if I had to redo it I would leave the inlet the larger size for better flow to the pump.

I have the March pumps with center inlet and used a reducer to get to 1/2"
The only reason was to standardize all to 1/2" cuz that's what all my other items were.

If starting out and you have the option I would leave the pump inlet 3/4" so I would also run 3/4" from the keggles for max flow. I believe your outlet is still 1/2" isn't it?

In any case, if I had to redo it I would leave the inlet the larger size for better flow to the pump.

Thanks for the reply I'm going to go 3/4", no reason to restrict the flow into the pump when I can throttle the outlet. May help with not needing to prime the pump sometimes. Just odd I haven't seen anybody using 3/4" on these center inlet pumps.

Thanks for the reply I'm going to go 3/4", no reason to restrict the flow into the pump when I can throttle the outlet. May help with not needing to prime the pump sometimes. Just odd I haven't seen anybody using 3/4" on these center inlet pumps.

I agree with you. If I didn't already have the 1/2" couplers installed in the keggles when I was doing my build I would have made the inlet side of the pump all the way to the keggle 3/4". I suppose I could always add another coupler to the keggles but no plans to do that right now, actually I haven't given it any thought until you posted. Something to think about I guess.

Good luck, keep us posted on what you do and how it's going.

You don't see people using 3/4" lines because 3/4" stuff is considerably expensive and rather hard to locate.

You don't see people using 3/4" lines because 3/4" stuff is considerably expensive and rather hard to locate.

You are right about the price being higher, especially the solenoid valves. The fittings are really not a problem since I work with industrial piping.

I'm starting to build a mostly automated HERMS system and wanted to get some feedback on drain size and location in the Keegles. I'm using 2 center inlet Chugger pumps that are 3/4" inlet and 1/2" outlet. I want to put each vessel on legs with rollers and weld 3/4" half couplings into the bottom of the pots and mount pump on the bases below the BK and HLT. Has anybody tried this before? I have done a lot of searching and found nothing on 3/4 outlets most seem to use 1/2" in the side and use a dip tube. If it matters I plan to use a hop spider to clear the wort entering the kettle and during cooling circulation.

Cheers,

David

If I'm understanding correctly: you are making bottom draining keggles? Are the tops already cut out of your keggles, if not keep reading...

If you have uncut kegs why not flip them upside down and use the old top as your bottom drain. Cut the original bottom out of the keg to make your "new" top. Then you could use 2" Tri-clamp to whatever size stainless you like. Say 3/4"? That would save you from having to weld an extra fitting into the bottom of your keggle. Plus it looks badass! Just a thought. I'll post some pics of mine later.

I used 3/4" bottom drains in my flat bottom kettles to feed my Chugger center inlet pumps on my last build. I used a 3/4" welding spud I got on ebay, and 3/4" ball valves. It is definitely the way to go if you are building new; if retrofitting, then 1/2" makes sense, otherwise as you stated, no sense to restrict the inlet! I also used 3/4" camlocks for easy on/off.

Below is a pic.. You cannot see the connection to the welding spud, but you get the point.

image1-63866.jpg

I used 3/4" bottom drains in my flat bottom kettles to feed my Chugger center inlet pumps on my last build. I used a 3/4" welding spud I got on ebay, and 3/4" ball valves. It is definitely the way to go if you are building new; if retrofitting, then 1/2" makes sense, otherwise as you stated, no sense to restrict the inlet! I also used 3/4" camlocks for easy on/off.

Below is a pic.. You cannot see the connection to the welding spud, but you get the point.

image1-63866.jpg

You just blew my mind. I love this

image1-63866.jpg
I don't know how I missed your post but that is awesome looking. I'm almost done with the mechanical part of my build and will post some pictures soon. I had a setback yesterday with my PLC crashing due to a mistake I made and lost all connection. I have it unplugged and battery disconnected in hope it will boot up tomorrow with factory settings.

Back