"I'm such a newbie" Kegging Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BVilleggiante

Reaction score
I have two 5 gallon kegs, and one CO2 bottle. My question is, when carbonating a keg, do I need to leave my CO2 bottle connected to it the entire time?

If that is the case, I'll need two CO2 bottles to keg my two 5 gallon kegs at once.

No, but cooking 3 oz of dextrose or sucrose in 1 cup of water in the microwave and then cooling it for 15 minutes in the freezer before pouring it in the keg, pressurizing and letting it sit two weeks is easy enough to do to not have to think about the co2 tank the whole time.:D

No, but cooking 3 oz of dextrose or sucrose in 1 cup of water in the microwave and then cooling it for 15 minutes in the freezer before pouring it in the keg, pressurizing and letting it sit two weeks is easy enough to do to not have to think about the co2 tank the whole time.:D

thats all you do?

You must still have it connected to some co2 just to pump it out right?

When I'm pressurizing a few kegs at a time I just switch between them about once a day to re-pressurize because the beer absorbs some. It also helps if you shake the kegs a few times a day to help the co2 to absorb.

thats all you do?

You must still have it connected to some co2 just to pump it out right?

You can plug the line in whenever you want to serve and unplug when done pouring. My point is, you don't have to mess with force carbonating.

If you're going to have two kegs, the easiest way to do it is with a WYE or T fitting.

If I have a two-port manifold, can I carb/serve from four kegs if I put a T or WYE between each port and the kegs? In other words, can I safely double a manifold the way you're talking about with a single line?

I'm just getting into kegging and won't be concerned about varying carb pressures for a while... or at least my wallet won't be able to care for a while.

I hope the OP is realizing there are several ways to "skin a cat". I did some research on my own setup and decided to get a dual primary regulator such as the Taprite T752HP shown in the link below:
http://www.taprite.com/products/co2_regs/primary.html

This allows me to use a single regulator with one set to serving pressure and tied into a distribution manifold and the other is setup for force carbing.

Back