First Wort Hopping technique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burgs

Reaction score
I have basically a two-vessel AG setup with a cooler MLT and a brew kettle that doubles as the hlt. When I take my runnings, I do a little bit of juggling that goes like this:

1. Drain strike water from kettle to mlt
2. Refill kettle with sparge water
3. Drain 1st runnings from cooler to a smaller 5 gallon cooler
4. Drain sparge water from kettle to mlt
5. Now the kettle is free, so I dump the 1st runnings in and start flame
6. After sparge, drain 2nd runnings into kettle to combine

If I want to use first wort hopping on a beer, should I add the hops to my 1st runnings that I'm collecting in the smaller cooler? Or, would it be better to add them to the kettle as I'm collecting 2nd runnings?

Thanks!

I have a similiar system and procedure, I drain my first runnings onto the hops.

I'm pretty sure you want them in with the first runnings. They will be exposed to the 150 degree wort for a longer time.

Same set up as me. When I do first wort hop I always add them to my first runnings. Well actually there already in the vessel and the first runnings get poured on top.

Was just reading about this in "How to Brew" by John Palmer. As I understand it, your adding them into the 1st Runnings/1st Wort. He stressed to only use "low-alpha finishing hops", and should be accounted for atleast 30% of the total hops originaly intended for Finishing"

I always add hops to first runnings so they have more time in the wort, and I use almost exclusively high alpha acid hops in my FWH, comes out great everytime ... but low alpha acid hops work great too.

Latest posts

Back