How do I clean the krausen crust off of the side of the glass carboy?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julohan

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
With the supplied brushes, I can't seem to get the brush to reach the top of the carboy. Anyone have any advice?

Oxyclean Free and water. Soak for a couple hours and everything will come sparkling clean.

+2

I agree with soaking in Oxyclean. I use hot tap water and a generous dose of Oxyclean, free or otherwise. Automatic dishwasher detergent also works well as does bleach & Dawn detergent. Fill the carboy to the brim and let it soak overnight if possible. I've never felt the need to scrub mine with a brush. I have the brush, just never use it. PBW is supposed to be one of the best cleaners, but I've not used it yet. Rinse as much stuff out as possible with hot water before the soak.

I use PBW and love the stuff. It's made just for this kind of stuff and everything just floats off.

If you want to save a bit (waste less) you can just make up 2 gallons or so and then carefully invert the carboy (with the 2 gal PBW solution inside) into a bucket (fit check it first!). Some liquid will spill into the bucket but the level will equalize and keep the hard-to-clean top/neck area submerged without having to fill it up with 5 gal. everytime. Be very careful though...broken carboys can injure you pretty badly.

I also have done a similar thing with an undrilled/solid stopper in the bung (to keep the PBW solution inside the inverted carboy) but I try to be careful that I don't let too much pressure build up inside the carboy. That wouldn't be good.;)

I just use the carboy brush and dish soap. You need to bend the brush to match the profile of the shoulder of the carboy.

I used to hate the brush, but now I use oxyclean, beer line cleaner, etc. and my life is much better. I can't stand getting sprayed in the face by the brush when you pull it out.

Shove a dishrag inside with some soap and hot water after a nice long oxyclean soak. A few shakes will scrub away the last bits.

I use a magnetic carboy sponge I'm pretty sure they're new. They are the easiest way I've ever found and small I would never use anything else again. They have a felt side for better bottles and a scrubber side for glass. You flip the outer super powerful magnet on the outside to switch sponge sides. They are really easy and actually fun too! There's a video on their website. I think you get like two sponges and a small one too for like 10$ but there is no shipping which is nice.
It's babylon bewear clothing company. www.babylonbewear.com

I think this is the link to the sponges
http://www.babylonbewear.com/store/p10/MAGNETIC_CARBOY_CLEANER_-_Starter_Kit_.html

www.babylonbewear.com/store/p10/MAGNETIC_CARBOY_CLEANER_-_Starter_Kit_.html

Effin sweet!!

I use a magnetic carboy sponge I'm pretty sure they're new. They are the easiest way I've ever found and small I would never use anything else again. They have a felt side for better bottles and a scrubber side for glass. You flip the outer super powerful magnet on the outside to switch sponge sides. They are really easy and actually fun too! There's a video on their website. I think you get like two sponges and a small one too for like 10$ but there is no shipping which is nice.
It's babylon bewear clothing company. www.babylonbewear.com

I think this is the link to the sponges
http://www.babylonbewear.com/store/p10/MAGNETIC_CARBOY_CLEANER_-_Starter_Kit_.html

www.babylonbewear.com/store/p10/MAGNETIC_CARBOY_CLEANER_-_Starter_Kit_.html

Oh so I guess that website must be yours? I just noticed you found every thread about cleaning carboys and posted the same post in all of them.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If you want to save a bit (waste less) you can just make up 2 gallons or so and then carefully invert the carboy (with the 2 gal PBW solution inside) into a bucket (fit check it first!). Some liquid will spill into the bucket but the level will equalize and keep the hard-to-clean top/neck area submerged without having to fill it up with 5 gal. everytime. Be very careful though...broken carboys can injure you pretty badly

You can also put the solution directly into the bucket and lower the empty carboy into it. A hose in the carboy to displace air will ensure that it settles at an equilibrium volume, then you can pull the hose out. Should save lifting 20 pounds of slippery glass.

You can also put the solution directly into the bucket and lower the empty carboy into it. A hose in the carboy to displace air will ensure that it settles at an equilibrium volume, then you can pull the hose out. Should save lifting 20 pounds of slippery glass.

What a VERY nice idea.. love it!:rockin:

I just use hot water and a bottlebrush and clean it DIRECTLY AFTER emptying it and it comes off pretty easy... I bent my bottle brushes of course so they are on a 90 degree angle to apply pressure and contact in the right area...
I waited an extra day once to clean a better bottle.... it was not easy at all to get the film off once it had fully dried and encrusted itself... took a lot of soaking... I don't use pwb or oxg on my plastic bottles to prevent scratching. The glass is easier yet to Clean Without it so..

Back