How Much Fruit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsmith

Home brewing moogerfooger
Reaction score
I'd like do to a cider soon, and would love to use fresh fruit. I did a little search on the forum and found out that Granny Smith apples would be good, but how much fruit would I need? Any good yeast suggestions? I already have a stock of several from the beer brewing.

Brewsmith said:
I'd like do to a cider soon, and would love to use fresh fruit. I did a little search on the forum and found out that Granny Smith apples would be good, but how much fruit would I need? Any good yeast suggestions? I already have a stock of several from the beer brewing.

I think in the other thread they said 15-20 pound of apples could have made two batches, what are you guys using to juice, say an apple.

"The yield of cider made from 100 pounds of fresh apples may vary from 70 to 83 percent by weight, or from 7.2 to 8.5 gallons. Yields per bushel of apples range from 3.2 to 3.6 gallons." http://tfpg.cas.psu.edu/part7/part75.htm

That's consistant with my college-day memories. We picked apples and took them to the mill. They crushed, pressed & took half the output. We ended up with 2 gallons of cider per bushel. Drank some fresh, let some go bad:D .

So assuming 3.2 gal per bushel, and 48 lbs. of apples per bushel, I would need 75 lbs. of apples for 5 gallons?

Back