Doubling the size of liquid yeast packet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stewie11

Reaction score
I'm preparing to make an all grain double batch (Dead Guy Ale clone) tomorrow and only have 1 packet of Roque Pacman yeast. How would you grow the size of the single packet to use in a double batch? I have a growler I've heard you can use, but I don't have any DME around. Any suggestions????

Thanks,
Stewie

If you can't get to a lhbs for dme, If you want to make a starter today, find the nearest Mexican grocery or even the nearest big box grocery store (like Meijer's) that has an "international foods" aisle and look for Malta Goya

large_316.jpg
MaltaGoya.jpg

Or Malta India

large_329.jpg

Quite a few people use it as a starter....It is pretty much just a lightly hopped, carbonated wort. Some people just stir it to release the co2, others bring to a boil and other's just bring it pasturizing temps. ANd then pitch the yeast.

There's a few threads on here about malta goya starters, both here and on other boards (google it)...and we even talked about it in the GAP (Grocery and produce challenge thread)

ANother option is to head to a bed bath and beyond or even a big box store that might carry mr beer refill packs and buy one of them..you can use the can of LME as his starter extract.

So, would I use the Malta Goya and bring to a boil, cool and then pitch the yeast? The Pacman yeast supposedly takes 3hrs before its ready after breaking the inner nutrient packet and shaking. Just not sure of the order or time frame this would take if I need to use tomorrow.

Thanks again.

You don't even need to break the packet and wait for it to swell if you are making a starter, the nutrient pack is just to jump start the yeast, but the starter will be doing that as well as reproducing.

I would take a couple bottles of malta, bring it to a boil, cool it, put it in your sanitized growler, cut open the yeast pouch, pour it in the growler, cover with tinfoil, shake the heck out of it for a couple minutes and let it do it's thing til time to pitch the yeast tomorrow. Maybe in the morning, boil up a bottle or two more of malta, and add that to the growler, and let the yeast reproduce more through out the day while you're brewing, and then come afternoon/evening when it's time to pitch the yeast you'll have a decent starter.

This would delay your yeast pitch by 24 hours, but you can always make a Real Wort Starter (RWS) from your wort after you boil.
I have a 1 quart saucepan that I soak in my Starsan with everything else, and when the boil is over, I take two saucepan scoops and put them in my flask.
If you're using a growler, make sure to cool the RWS before a) putting it in the growler, and b) pitching any yeast into it.
Stash your wort in whatever you're fermenting in, and wait for the starter (shake often if no stir plate).

In all of this, make sure to observer maximum sanitation policy, as all this is being done post boil.

When the starter is done (some advocate pitching at high krausen, but I've never tired that), pitch it into your fermenter as you would with any other starter.
The advantage to RWS is that the yeast has grown up eating the actual sugar it will see in your wort, and is primed for maximum butt kicking.

Latest posts

Back