Sanyo 4912 owners, a question!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MriswitH

Reaction score
I just recently purchased a 4912 and being one who has never owned a mini-fridge or the like, I had quick question that has resulted from my own paranoia.

When the compressor kicks in, is it normal to hear the freon running through the plate in the back at a moderately low noise level? (I.e: is it supposed to be mainly quiet, like that of a large scale fridgerator or am I supposed to hear it as noted above)

The reason I ask is that I bought the fridge from BestBuy and when I got it home and unpacked there was a crack on the handle so I am being paranoid about other defects unseen; such as one from a drop or something.

Crack in the handle? When the compressor fires up, you'll hear a trickling sound from inside the unit. Common. As long as it gets cold, she's fine. With refrigerators, it either works or doesn't work. There is no in between.

Cool beans, thanks Grog!

The crack is kind of a bummer, more cosmetic than anything though. I had kinda assumed that it should be fine and that the operation was normal but my paranoia from the handle got the best of me and so I brought it here to double-check.

I'm making my first jump into kegging this week and wanted to make sure that I was just being paranoid instead of having my new cooler poop out on me during my baby-step period.

I'm still confused to where the "handle" is that your talking about. With that refrigerator, you can put two kegs, 10 lbs CO2 cylinder, regulator, two shut offs and a Y connector, two dedicated CO2 lines and a cobra tap in it with relative ease.

I got the 4912M, so i'm not sure how much of a discrepancy there is between that and other 4912 series but I might be stretching it by trying to fit all of that into my fridge because it seems a tad small for all 3 items at once. (2-corny's, 10lb cylinder)

The 'handle' I was describing is actually the little slot at the top that acts as pull handle, on that corner it is cracked a little.

nah, it'll all fit. I do that, 2 cornies and 10 lb. CO2 cylinder. I did take the plastic off the door, though, that actually frees up a lot of room.

Matt

Door shelving comes off with about 30 ka-billion sheet metal screws and you need to fabricate a small shelf to hold the CO2 tank. But it is very doable and worth it.

clayof2day said:
nah, it'll all fit. I do that, 2 cornies and 10 lb. CO2 cylinder. I did take the plastic off the door, though, that actually frees up a lot of room.

Matt

Can you post some pictures of the 2 kegs AND CO2 bottle. I would like to see how you did it.

Thanks.

I fit my 10# tank and regulator on the raised portion of the back of the fridge. The 2 cornies help hold it in place... so I'm just careful when moving the kegs in and out. If I only have one keg in, I'll just set the CO2 tank on the bottom instead.

I might have a slightly older model... 4911 I think... but I wouldn't imagine they've changed it too much.

MriswitH said:
I got the 4912M, so i'm not sure how much of a discrepancy there is between that and other 4912 series ...

They're the same thing. I think people usually just shorten the title to 4912.

Someone was asking about what the inside of a 4912 looks like without the shelving and with whiteboard or something else on it.

Check this out

Pics at the bottom of the page

Damn, you guys are awesome. Thanks again for all the help and pictures.

Probably scored a couple of corny's off of craigslist, so I now need to get creative on cramming 'em in their already, so your tips have helped. Will the madness of homebrewing ever end? :D

NO, it doesn't. It gets worse. I've already bought 2 more cornies after I learned the hard way the beer needs to age and it's better to age at room temperatures. So, if I got two cornies in the kegerator, I got none aging, hence the need for two more. Don't think of it as "cramming" them in there, they fit just fine. They don't even touch one another.

Ol' Grog said:
NO, it doesn't. It gets worse. I've already bought 2 more cornies after I learned the hard way the beer needs to age and it's better to age at room temperatures. So, if I got two cornies in the kegerator, I got none aging, hence the need for two more. Don't think of it as "cramming" them in there, they fit just fine. They don't even touch one another.

Couldn't you just use carboys for ageing?

Yeah, I could but to be honest, they make me nervous after reading all the unfortunate injuries that have occured as the result of using glass. Also, I have a three year old and she can get into things Houdini couldn't. Also with cornies, I don't have to worry about the sunlight. Two weeks in the primary then straight to cornies works good. They are a hell of a lot easier to move around as well.

Grog,

Do you ever suck up sediment from aging in your secondary like that? I've heard several people that just rack straight to a corny from their primary, wondering if it is detrimental to the first few pints or not...

Back