Noble Showers Series - Can You Clone It?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missigsfan

Reaction score
I was surprised to see there was nothing on these awesome beers anywhere. For anyone who doesn't know, Noble Ale Works brews a series of single hop DIPAs using their favorite varieties. I just had Citra Showers for the first time and it was one of the best things to grace my lips.

Things I know:
Every beer in the series is 8.8% ABV
Every beer in the series uses the same malt bill and yeast, and I would assume a very similar hop schedule
Mostly late boil and dry hops
Hazy light golden color (haze has varied from batch to batch)

So...who wants to take a stab at this?

Definitely interested in this too. I had Mosaic Showers when we took the fam to Disneyland earlier this year. I haven't tried cloning it but it was an awesome beer.

Yeah Idk how well a beer called Golden/Golding Showers would sell. And EKG in a DIPA? Come on man...

I don't know. It has potential. They could set up a paid video feed of someone drinking it.

I went to the website, to see what I could find, the prices at the taproom are somewhat high, growler fills $30. I guess its supply and demand, locals must be liking it.
Beer advocate puts it at 96%.
Anyway in the "about" section it mentions that the brewer is interested in "classic european beer styles"
So for a clone of the Showers DIPA, I'd suggest:
1. Appropriate water profile (I'm pretty weak on water chemistry, so maybe someone could add to this?)
2. A real Simple malt bill, like 98% Pale malt, 2% Crystal.
Or just all pale malt, no crystal.
I'd start with English malts like Crisp pale malt to see if its similar
3. Can't find anything that says how many IBU's and can't get the beer here, total 65 IBU?
30 IBU bittering 60 minute
20 IBU 20 minutes
15 IBU flameout, 45 minute whirlpool
Dry Hop: Same amount as flameout hops?
London ale yeast?
So that's a start

I went to the website, to see what I could find, the prices at the taproom are somewhat high, growler fills $30. I guess its supply and demand, locals must be liking it.
Beer advocate puts it at 96%.
Anyway in the "about" section it mentions that the brewer is interested in "classic european beer styles"
So for a clone of the Showers DIPA, I'd suggest:
1. Appropriate water profile (I'm pretty weak on water chemistry, so maybe someone could add to this?)
2. A real Simple malt bill, like 98% Pale malt, 2% Crystal.
Or just all pale malt, no crystal.
I'd start with English malts like Crisp pale malt to see if its similar
3. Can't find anything that says how many IBU's and can't get the beer here, total 65 IBU?
30 IBU bittering 60 minute
20 IBU 20 minutes
15 IBU flameout, 45 minute whirlpool
Dry Hop: Same amount as flameout hops?
London ale yeast?
So that's a start

Hmmm I heard this is all late boil hops. 20 minutes and under. It's pretty low IBU.
This video actually says 65 IBU so you were right on with that. All late boil and dry hop with a FWH.
Also not sure about the yeast. This beer is American all the way. Weird that they would say the brewer is interested in European beer styles because the majority of the beers they make aren't European in the slightest. I could see them using something like Golden Promise, which will impart the haziness to the beer. The body is also incredibly smooth. Maybe something like oats or wheat in there too. Haven't heard anything from them yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Alright! Just got a reply from Evan, the head brewer at Noble.

OG 1.074
IBU 120
Yeast WLP001
Grain bill is a mix of 2 row, Bohemian Pilsner, Golden Promise and about 10% corn sugar
One bittering addition and one whirlpool addition.
Dry hop warm with around 6 oz of hops per 5 gallons.
Good luck!

First thing that popped out was this OG is pretty low for 8.8%. So this thing is drying out quite a bit (10% corn sugar will help) which I didn't expect since this stuff has a good amount of body to it. According to brewtoad that is 90% attenuation with an FG of 1.007. Any idea how to get that from WLP001? I could see WLP090 getting closer to that. And another surprise is the IBU. 120 seems really high, and if it's one bittering addition (assuming 90 minute boil) then that could be 3oz right at the beginning. You think he might be using a different bittering hop? Grain bill seems pretty understandable. 10% corn sugar seemed like a lot but I could see that working out. One bittering and one whirlpool. I could've sworn this would have late boil additions but it's just the whirlpool. And then a monster 6oz dry hop. I'm not sure if the grain bill would be evenly split or not. I would probably go with GP > 2-Row > Bohemian just because I love GP.

Showers are awesome beers. Being hop forward beers, I wouldn't care about the malt bill too much and keep it simple. From the info they gave, I would guess 50% 2-row, 30% Pilsner, 10 % Golden Promise, 10% Sugar. Mash it low (147 for 75 minutes), make some adjustments to your water (can't help much here, but yeah, you will need it). Use a plethora of hops at Flameout. 5-8 oz I think will do it. Look into "hop standing" or "whirpool hopping" to figure this out. Dry hop 4oz warm (72) 8 days before cold crash, dry hop again 2 oz 3 days before cold crash, and then cold crash for as long as you like. I like 3-4 days.

Alright! Just got a reply from Evan, the head brewer at Noble.

First thing that popped out was this OG is pretty low for 8.8%. So this thing is drying out quite a bit (10% corn sugar will help) which I didn't expect since this stuff has a good amount of body to it. According to brewtoad that is 90% attenuation with an FG of 1.007. Any idea how to get that from WLP001? I could see WLP090 getting closer to that. And another surprise is the IBU. 120 seems really high, and if it's one bittering addition (assuming 90 minute boil) then that could be 3oz right at the beginning. You think he might be using a different bittering hop? Grain bill seems pretty understandable. 10% corn sugar seemed like a lot but I could see that working out. One bittering and one whirlpool. I could've sworn this would have late boil additions but it's just the whirlpool. And then a monster 6oz dry hop. I'm not sure if the grain bill would be evenly split or not. I would probably go with GP > 2-Row > Bohemian just because I love GP.

Anybody made an attempt based on this info care to report their results? I've got a bunch of Galaxy in the freezer, thinking a Galaxy DIPA might be in order.

View attachment 351263
Made a all mosaic dipa that was fantastic!
Not quite a showers clone, but great nonetheless. When I compared side by side, mosaic showers was a lot sweeter as it warmed and mine was dryer.
Used super sandiego yeast
8.8%

Nice! I went ahead and made an attempt with the Galaxy I had on hand. I couldn't do a side by side, but I'd definitely say it was very similar based on how I remembered them tasting, and it was definitely one of the favorite DIPAs I've ever made. I'm planning on re-brewing soon with either a Citra or Mosaic version. I think I may try the San Diego Super Yeast.

Nice! I went ahead and made an attempt with the Galaxy I had on hand. I couldn't do a side by side, but I'd definitely say it was very similar based on how I remembered them tasting, and it was definitely one of the favorite DIPAs I've ever made. I'm planning on re-brewing soon with either a Citra or Mosaic version. I think I may try the San Diego Super Yeast.
Did you follow Sed777 recipe and substitute with Galaxy or have a different recipe entirely?

I actually did mine based on the recipe in missigsfan's post which was based on feedback from Evan @Noble:
OG 1.074
IBU 120
Yeast WLP001
Grain bill is a mix of 2 row, Bohemian Pilsner, Golden Promise and about 10% corn sugar
One bittering addition and one whirlpool addition.
Dry hop warm with around 6 oz of hops per 5 gallons.
Good luck!

I cheated and used magnum for bittering, so it's not truly a single hop beer. I also reduced the IBUs considerably.

5# 11oz Rahr 2-row
3.5# Weyerman Pilsner
1.5# Golden Promise
1# 3oz Corn Sugar
28g Magnum (First Wort Hop)
56g Galaxy (1 min)
168g Galaxy (Dry Hop)
0.5 Whirlfloc
Wyeast Yeast Nutrient
US-05

Latest posts

Back