1.090 OG - Ferment and conditioning times

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VAShooter

Reaction score
I brewed a Dogfish 90 clone with an OG of 1.090. It's been in the primary for 2 weeks and after 1 week the gravity was already at 1.024. I know its got a ways to go as there are still brown yeast clusters and bubbles on the surface. I plan on leaving in the primary the entire time....no secondaries. My question is how long do I let a beer of this gravity 'condition' in the primary before bottling? 4 weeks? 5? would anyone go as long as 6?

PS....I have to dry hop for 5 days ( if that matters ).

Once you reach terminal gravity then it's really all about letting the yeast do there job and clean the beer up. I would suspect 4 weeks would be long enough. Are you planning on dry hopping in primary as well?

I have a clone of Avery Maharaja IIPA which has a OG of 1.086 that I brewed on Saturday. I planned on moving to secondar for dry hopping in two weeks.

I'm all for aging a beer, but at a certain point you're aging, not cleaning up. Once the yeast have completely dropped, they're pretty much done. If you don't have any diacetyl, or acetaldehyde, or other compounds, then my belief is that you don't need the yeast anymore.

That's not to say that you can't leave the beer on the yeast, but for me I'm usually putting it in a keg at this point and dry hopping.

Back