Pitching Temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BackBayBrewing

Reaction score
I've read a lot of posts here where people really seem to stress getting wort temp down to fermentation temperature before pitching yeast. Is this entirely necessary or is it ok to pitch the yeast when the wort is a little warmer? For example, if I am making an ale with an ideal ferment temp of 68, is it a terrible idea to pitch the yeast at 75 or so? I ferment in a kegerator so I am able to get the wort down to ferment temps pretty quick. I didn't think it would be that big a deal because for at least the first few hours the yeast aren't really in full fermentation anyway so I didn't think there was much chance of off flavors from ferment temps that are too high. After reading some of the posts hear I am starting to second guess this line of thinking. Comments?

If you are pitching an active starter, then you should get the wort temp down to fermentation temperature since the yeast will be getting to work right away. If you crash cool and decant your starters, pitch straight from washed yeast, pitch straight from smack-packs or vials, then pitching at 75F when the wort is in a temp controlled fermentation environment (keezer, kegerator or otherwise refrigeration capable environment) won't be a problem.

I pitch my cold crashed, still chilled yeast starters to 73-75F wort all the time and I've never had problems. I just have the temp probe taped to the fermenter, dial in my fermentation temperature, and the wort is chilled to 65-68F before the yeast begin fermenting.

It's less than ideal because yeast do not like to be cooled down. You are much better off pitching somewhat cooler and then warming it up. If you pitch warm then start cooling the fermenter down rapidly the yeast may start to put up a protein coat and fall asleep giving you an inferior ferment. The yeast don't know you are only chilling them down a few degrees, for all they know you just stuck them in a freezer and they need to prepare themselves for long term cold storage.

Latest posts

Back