wyeast 1968

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just used it in an oatmeal brown. I was wary because of the attenuation/flocculation issues with this strain. My favorite local brewery uses 1968 too so I figured I'd go with it. The flavors were awesome (fruity and a little diacytel), and complimented my brown ale well, but I only achieved 51% apparent attenuation.

I made a 1L starter with a stir plate, and I even raised the temp and swirled to resuspend the yeast post fermentation and this didn't help. I'm going to be pitching some us-05 or Nottingham to dry the beer out.

On the flipside I've heard of people getting very good attenuation with this strain. Great flavors but I would have a packet of dry yeast handy to pitch a few days later (after ester formation) if you want a lower FG.

I use that yeast for most all of my english ales, and lately I have been trying it out on my stouts.

I love it, personally have had no attenuation issues or stalling out. I keep several vials of washed 1968 around for a spur of the moment brewday.

Love this strain! I use it for my Bitters.

Pitching a nice healthy starter is crucial with this one, especially if you want to achieve decent attenuation. I recommend 2L for ales up to 1.060. Aerate well and pitch cool (~63*F) letting it gradually warm up to 65 - 68*F for the bulk of fermentation.

After 1.5 weeks or so, it may benefit from warming up to around 70* for a few days to help clean up the diacetyl a bit before crash cooling and kegging or bottling. If you don't think it's clear enough, let it go until you're happy but I find this yeast clears quickly. I think the most I've ever gone with this strain is 3 weeks on the yeast and even that was long.

Diacetyl is certainly part of the flavor associated with this yeast, but IMO is best kept to a minimum. Give a proper pitch, keep your temps within range (65 - 68*F,) and you'll have yourself a nice beer.

Yes - make a starter, make sure you use Mr Malty for your amounts, and make sure when you pitch you have at least the reccomended amount and MAKE SURE the yeast is fresh.
I have had a few learning experiences with this yeast, and have found if you have enough yeast (watch your ferm temps also!) you will love it.

Back