trub removal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onesickfreak

Reaction score
ok, so after i remove the trub from my wort, im suppose to boil it agian for a little bit to prevent contamination. make sense. but what about the aroma hops? won't that kill them, or should i add them in the second boil? any ideas

onesickfreak said:
ok, so after i remove the trub from my wort, im suppose to boil it agian for a little bit to prevent contamination. make sense. but what about the aroma hops? won't that kill them, or should i add them in the second boil? any ideas

There should not be any second boiling of anything.

When you say "remove the trub from the wort" are you talking about removing the sludge from the brew in the boiling kettle? If so, that's called "break material", not trub. Trub is the sediment that collects at the bottom of the fermenter after your brew has sat and fermented for a few days.

If you are actually talking about the sediment in the bottom of the fermenter, then you definately don't want to boil the beer again. You will boil off all the alcohol.

You might want to read through the first section of www.howtobrew.com

yeah, thats it.... break material. i normaly don't mess with it, but i thought it might lower my sediment in the end

when you remove the wort from your break material it is still sterile from the normal boiling process, there is no need to bring the wort back to a boil. Just be sure that everything that touches the wort is sanitized and you should be fine. Some folks filter out the break material, some folks rack the wort off and leave as much of the break as possible in the bottom of the kettle.

Back