Keg o-rings - silicone vs Buna-N

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TWilson

Reaction score
Is silicone that much better than Buna-N that it makes it worth the price? I noticed that the silicone is listed as FDA compliant and the Buna-N isn't. I am hoping to get my kegerator finished this weekend, and was going to order extra o-rings and parts to have on hand. Thanks for the advice.

Silicone ones are what they often used originally, but IIRC that's mainly because they give longer life - they're not exorbitantly expensive in a per-unit-price sense, but when you have to buy a whole pack of them at once it's pretty steep so I don't see the point. For us homebrewers who can keep a better eye on them, the cheaper ones are fine.

All my kegs have seen many batches of beer and I haven't replaced the o-rings since the initial reconditioning - and I haven't seen any signs of wear. I guess you can replace every time if you want, but that seems pretty excessive considering that normally the post o-rings literally only see any kind of stress twice - once when you put the disconnects on, and once when you take them off.

Back