Philly area Homebrewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
was it towards the end of the festival? maybe your memory is a little fuzzy? haha

found your checkin on Untappd. You gave it a 4 and it averages 3.6, so that's a hell of lot better than the 61 that Alexander gets on BA.

~I don't base decisions solely on BA ratings, but a 61 is pretty telling...~

Well then, my work here is done.png

It was definitely towards to onset of the debauchery. They had it strictly for the VIP sessions...hopefully I wasn't sloshed within the first hour, all those ratings would just mean nothing lol
Ever have any of the bottled sours from Naked Brewing? I picked up a few of their limiteds, but I thought I would hold onto them to develop a tad bit.

no I haven't. I think I'm going to try that Free Will blood and guts though. I have a trade partner looking for local sours, so I want to try it before I send it.

no I haven't. I think I'm going to try that Free Will blood and guts though. I have a trade partner looking for local sours, so I want to try it before I send it.

Neshaminy Creek has a stellar one, but the first iteration was draft only, their second batch of it won't be ready for another year. They made a significantly larger batch and will be bottling some of it next year.
I think it was called Beast Infection.

The brewers at Free Will ( John Stemler and Dave Wood mostly) like to play with sours. They were kind of shooting in the dark with a lot of their early stuff but their barrel program and sour production has become pretty serious over the last year. Expect them to be kicking out some amazing stuff starting soon. Jeremy and his gaggle of brewers at Neshaminy are about to make some serious changes at the brew house so look for more awesome one-off stuff including barreled beer and sours all in larger quantities.

Just catching up here. Congrats Gitmoe, that is very cool, and a very good idea, especially locally. I like cider's but can be pretty picky about them, my wife really loves them and is always wanting to try the new stuff. Keep us posted on when and where we can start to see your stuff.

Side note, We just started following eachother on the Instagram. :)

Alos, cool design work man. I need some of those stickers to plaster all over the Fishtowns.

Right on man. I saw you're all over our Instagram... lol. We just had a crazy thing happen and we may be in full production sooner than we thought. Still putting us on a fall release but maybe early fall instead of late fall. I was down in Fishtown last night at The Abbaye and in Port Richmond at Cheer Cafe. I'm down that way all the time. Shoot me an email and we'll meet up. I'll toss you some swag. I should be down that way at some point Sunday and again Monday night. [email protected]

Anyone make it out to the 'be our brewer' competition in Allentown Saturday?

My rye Ipa was chosen as the 'brewer's choice' so I will be brewing it with the head brewer at Bethlehem brew works in September and they will be serving it on tap at their brew pub in October.

Anyone make it out to the 'be our brewer' competition in Allentown Saturday?

My rye Ipa was chosen as the 'brewer's choice' so I will be brewing it with the head brewer at Bethlehem brew works in September and they will be serving it on tap at their brew pub in October.

That's amazing, congratulations! That sounds like it'll be a lot of fun

I was there, had a Mosaic/Galaxy IPA on 2nd floor.

I really thought the winner's beer was not very good, you should have taken 1st Matt.

I was there, had a Mosaic/Galaxy IPA on 2nd floor.

I really thought the winner's beer was not very good, you should have taken 1st Matt.

I don't think I had a chance to try yours! Time got away from me and I was only able to walk around towards the end of the night and didn't try nearly as many beers as I had hoped.

Thanks for the kind words! They told me I came 3 votes short of 1st place but it was nice that they did the "brewer's choice" because in my mind that is more of a compliment than the popular vote anyway...

I don't think I had a chance to try yours! Time got away from me and I was only able to walk around towards the end of the night and didn't try nearly as many beers as I had hoped.

Thanks for the kind words! They told me I came 3 votes short of 1st place but it was nice that they did the "brewer's choice" because in my mind that is more of a compliment than the popular vote anyway...

I believe it was your wife who came over to get a sample while you tended the table. I'm not sure if it made it back to your or not. I didn't make it around much either, but I had friends getting samples for me the whole time.

Yours was one of very few beers there, that I thought was brewed well.

I hear you on the popular vote. Most seemed like they were there to get hammered and/or fed. The amount of pensive individuals who were clearly focused on choosing a good beer ...

Yeah, those were few and far between. Those are the folks I had some great conversations with, so I'm glad to walk away with their respects.

I was a bit disappointed in how the event was organized. Not sure why pro brewers had tables there. Upstairs there was a decent Session IPA, but the Weyerbacher Tart beer right next to it was pretty awesome. I feel like he got short changed.

I also felt like some of the food vendors brought offerings that did not compliment the homebrews within their proximity.

I was lucky enough to be next to a bacon, cheddar, chipotle dip ... which was decent with my beer. I could see some thinking that was unfair.

And Keystone with the Hop Rocket, that was nice and all ... but anyone who tried that first was coming close to torching their palate right off the bat.

I had fun, and got excellent feedback for my beer. Even though I had a good time, no way I'll be back next year. It's clearly not an event to bolster the art of brewing, seemed more like a money grab to me.

Call me crazy, but only home brewers with no skin in the game should have been allowed to provide beer for this event.

I suppose they needed to justify ticket sales, so maybe from a business perspective this made sense to them. I simply cannot respect it.

Ah, I do remember yours and I enjoyed it. Yours and Steve's (the session IPA) were two of the better IPAs at the event (and there were a lot of IPAs this year). I wish they would have announced who came in 2nd (I was told I tied for 2nd) and 3rd this year and maybe given out some sort of medal or ribbon at least for recognition sake.

I participated in the event last year (came in 3rd) and there were a lot more homebrewers (50+ compared to 30 something this year). I think that may have been why they brought in some commercial brewers to compensate. I also heard that a few of the food vendors pulled out last minute so that probably didn't help either.

I enjoy entering these types of comeptitions more to interact with other beer lovers and get immediate feedback on my beer so I am sure I will enter it again next year (if they have it).

Sorry your experince wasn't the best but I certainly enjoyed your beer and hope to try some more in the future!

Ah, I do remember yours and I enjoyed it. Yours and Steve's (the session IPA) were two of the better IPAs at the event (and there were a lot of IPAs this year). I wish they would have announced who came in 2nd (I was told I tied for 2nd) and 3rd this year and maybe given out some sort of medal or ribbon at least for recognition sake.

I participated in the event last year (came in 3rd) and there were a lot more homebrewers (50+ compared to 30 something this year). I think that may have been why they brought in some commercial brewers to compensate. I also heard that a few of the food vendors pulled out last minute so that probably didn't help either.

I enjoy entering these types of comeptitions more to interact with other beer lovers and get immediate feedback on my beer so I am sure I will enter it again next year (if they have it).

Sorry your experince wasn't the best but I certainly enjoyed your beer and hope to try some more in the future!

Thanks bud. I suppose there is nothing inherently wrong with any shortcomings I saw in the event, more so that I'm not much into the competition aspect and found out the hard way. I'm too German for my own good, sometimes ... and demand precision when it's not required.

If I do enter next year, perhaps I'll just get in for the social aspect ... maybe brew a simple pale ale so it's not such a hit on the wallet.

I live in Telford right now, so we're basically neighbors if you want to talk beer and share some brews some time. Also, I'll be sure to stop up to Bethlehem once yours is tapped.

I really like my distributor, but I would love for this to happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I had three. Pretty good scores, but no hardware

Saison - 36
Brett Saison - 33
RIS - 35

How'd you do?

Man, tough competition this year...those are great scores!

I also had three entries:

Pale - 24.5 (I entered it into the wrong category)
saison - 35
IPA - 41 (1st place in category and 2nd place best of show)

Man, tough competition this year...those are great scores!

I also had three entries:

Pale - 24.5 (I entered it into the wrong category)

saison - 35

IPA - 41 (1st place in category and 2nd place best of show)

Congrats on the IPA. What was the mixup with the pale?

How do you guys get notifications of competitions, or do you just keep an eye out on the Internet?

There are a few big ones that happen every year and are part of the Eastern Pennsylvania Hombrewer of the Year Award competition (War of the Worts, Buzz Off, Malt Madness, Stoney Creek Homebrewer's Amateur Brewing Championship)

Anyone have any entries in malt madness Saturday?

I had 5 entries. Took 1st and 3rd in fruit beers with a Raspberry berliner weiss (41.5) and a Belgian dark strong aged on cherries (35). Had a session IPA that was only 4.9% abv that i entered as a regular IPA that still scored a 33 which i was happy with. The rauchbier (26) and sour saison (21) didn't fare as well.

I had 5 entries. Took 1st and 3rd in fruit beers with a Raspberry berliner weiss (41.5) and a Belgian dark strong aged on cherries (35). Had a session IPA that was only 4.9% abv that i entered as a regular IPA that still scored a 33 which i was happy with. The rauchbier (26) and sour saison (21) didn't fare as well.

Congrats on your wins! The judges were tough this year for sure

Thanks! Same to you.

I've heard that about the judges from a few people. I'm interested to see what the scoresheets say. Did you get yours back yet? Supposedly they're scanning/emailing them out from what I've heard.

Thanks! Same to you.

I've heard that about the judges from a few people. I'm interested to see what the scoresheets say. Did you get yours back yet? Supposedly they're supposed to be scanning/emailing them out from what I've heard.

Yeah, they emailed me my scoresheets yesterday. Mine went to my spam folder so you may want to check there...

Back