First cider in progress. Is this smell normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lex990

Reaction score
35465e0c.jpg

19 quarts 100% apple juice
700g honey
10oz brown sugar
18oz turbinado sugar
16oz pure cane sugar
Lalvin 71b-1122 yeast

Og 1.078

Still getting bubbles every 2 seconds.
First three days it sat in my laundry room with the door shut at 70 degrees. Then yesterday removed blowoff and put in sanitized airlock. Getting a wet gym sock / slight bread smell in the closet. Is this normal smell for cider / apfelwein ?

I'd be more concerned about that massive snake in the upper left corner!!!

Is there any sulfur to the smell? or just musty? It could just be because of the jiggling when you moved it. I got a little smell that was musty when I moved one of my cider carboys a couple of weeks ago. It went away pretty quickly.

Lol That's the hose to my rainbow vacuum. No sulfur but I'll keep a smell out for it. What does sulfur mean?

Getting a slight boiled egg smell. Does this mean it was too warm? Will this mellow over time ?

That's the rhino fart smell. It'll go away in a couple days. Totally normal.

Getting a slight boiled egg smell. Does this mean it was too warm? Will this mellow over time ?

Lalvin 71b-1122 is good at temps from 60 to 86 degrees, according to documentation that I can find online. It is known for producing some rhino farts, but they will go away... eventually. :D

Kinda like me after a night of wings and homebrew

HAHA...I know the feeling (wings and brew)...I just blame it on my 3 year old. (or the dog)

Like they said...sulfur smell is totally normal. It'll usually only last a day or so then the apple smell will come back in the airlock. I'd try to keep that on the low side of the temps if you can. (60s) It'll take longer, but you should get a cleaner fermentation.

Back