Using fresh coriander question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leezer

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I grew some cilantro which has bolted and flowered and now I am seeing lots of coriander seeds. I want to use them in a brew although I don't have a specific recipe in mind yet. They are green right now and I am not sure whether to pick them now or let them turn brown first. I assume there is probably a difference with the flavor. Just wondering what others do?

Ive never grown coriander, but Ive used it extensively in brewing, but mostly cooking. Ive never even seen green colored seeds in the store so I would guess that they are not really suitable for use in either until they get a bit browned. Liek I didnt even know green coriander was a thing until now...

But when I use them for brewing I lightly crush them with my mortar & pestle and use 0.5-1.0 oz at flameout

Simple. Let their taste be your guide.

Some coriander seeds can taste like dill or have other (off) flavors.
Young (green) seeds taste different from more mature and dried ones (light green-brown).

Toasting them lightly (only a few shades, you're not making Indian Curry) brings out more of the spicy flavors, losing some of the lemony ones.

Crushing right before adding to your brew increases the efficiency of extraction. 7-14 grams in a 5 gallon batch will give you a range between subtle to noticeable, although it depends on other flavors in your beer. Those amounts would be for a Witbier.

Thanks, I think I will try both types in different brews. I do one gallon batches so those are a good size for experimenting. Just wasn't sure if green coriander would be bitter but doesn't sound that way, even from other reading I've done. And thanks for the info on how and when to add it.

Thanks, I think I will try both types in different brews. I do one gallon batches so those are a good size for experimenting. Just wasn't sure if green coriander would be bitter but doesn't sound that way, even from other reading I've done. And thanks for the info on how and when to add it.

Yes, those are very good for experimentation. You could freeze the green seeds in case you want to brew it again before next year.

Chew one of the seeds, before you commit to brew with them, gives you a pretty good idea what flavors and aromas are in them. Take it from there. You can always add a bit more, after the fermentation is over, if you want more of the fragrance.

If you like tart beers, use the coriander to make a gose. I use 1/2 oz dried coriander per 5 gal, crushed and added with 10 min left in the boil. Adds a nice lemon flavor and aroma.

Back